Back To Reality

Chapter Thirty-Four

"Hey, Toni, maybe you can build me a suit so the next time a gym explodes on me I won't break my arm."

I didn't respond, Abi pulled me closer and we walked to lunch. "My parents and I are moving to New York," I whispered.

"You're what?"

"I don't even get to finish the school year this time. Not that I want to be here now..."

"Why?"

I shrugged, "The tower is better guarded. And it's easier for their business anyways. I'll steal the jet on weekends though. We'll take turns here and there. Or anywhere, really."

"Oh."

"Don't hate me. This wasn't my idea. I don't want to live in the tower..."

"Why not?"

I sighed. "I didn't think my life was normal before, but moving there feels like it's removing any semblance of a normal life. And I don't want to leave my best friend alone in a sea of people who hate me."

"That will pass, don't worry about that bull shit."

"I don't know, people can hold grudges. I mean look at Killian."

She snorted, "Oh my God, that's not funny, T."

"The bad thing is I'm half way serious. Any one of these kids could be a future enemy. Well, maybe if they weren't idiots."

"Toni." She laughed. "You're only going to make it worse for your future self."

"Bring it on."

"Okay, okay. Don't go all Invincible Iron Man. Neither one of you are invincible. You took out some guys prom night, but that doesn't mean much."

"You're going to be the Pepper to my Tony. Thank you in advance." I hugged her tight.

"I love you, T. And don't worry, I don't plan on staying on this island forever. Neither does my mom. The Stark job has brought something back in her. She's ready to grow and get the hell out of here."

"Just say when. Maybe I can talk to management." I winked.

"No, no. Let this be natural. I have faith in her."

"Yeah, she can do it. You wanna ditch the rest of the day and go to the beach?"

"Hell. Yes."

We slowly cleared our trays and acted like we were gonna spend lunch in the court yard, but turned at a different door. "The Mc is parked in the back, I have our spare suits in the trunk."

"You're a genius."

"It's a family thing." I laughed and we ran for the car. My phone rang and I switched the car to auto. "Huh, I don't know this--yes I do. Hang on. Hello?"

"Toni, hey."

"Kuznetsov. Sup?"

"Well, I saw you're no longer in you're school building--"

I rolled my eyes. "Really don't give a fuck that SHIELD knows I'm skipping."

"That's not why I called, it's why I called now instead of later."

"Then why am I listening to you?"

"I went to the base where they have Justin. It's him. You have my word he's the one you've been talking to, and he still hates everyone here as much as he used to. So I highly doubt he'd be talking to you for them."

"You swear on Michelle's life?"

He sighed. "Yes, Toni. Someday, if you ever need my help, I hope you can trust me."

"Yeah, well, don't hold your breath. Thanks for the call. See ya."

"Bye."

"Was that Kyle?"

I nodded.

"What did he say."

"I had him make sure this guy I've been talking to, that SHIELD has all but kidnapped, isn't actually spying on me."

"Your love life is going to be complicated."

"Or barren. Either way, to the beach!"