The Flight

Chapter Twenty-One

The next day at school, Kyle and I were really awkward around each other. Every accidental touch couldn't go unnoticed. Except he would smile adorably and I would look away--I being the one to make many things awkward.

Abi walking into the cafeteria was like seeing a rescue chopper in the middle of the ocean. She sat beside me and pushed me towards kyle until I was almost touching him. I looked at him with a smile and leaned on him comfortably.

Abi nodded with a smile at her work before saying, "Okay, so, Avengers show in three days. I bought tickets for Toni and I. It's going to be a girl's weekend. Sorry Kyle, but it's my turn to hog her."

He held his hands up, "I surrender."

I laughed and looked at Abs pointedly, "You really didn't have to buy them."

"I know," She rolled her eyes.

oh.. duh. She didn't buy them, that was her way of making sure kyle didn't go so we could hang with whoever.

"Well, until then, what do you gals want to do after school?"

I shrugged.

"Oo! I want to find a dress for the dance!" Abi basically bounced in her seat.

Kyle and I laughed before I said, "That sounds more like a 'girls weekend in NYC' kinda thing to me abs. plus... I already have a dress?"

"What? When did you go shopping without me?" Abi looked horrified.

"I didn't actually. I got it from that family friend I was staying with. There were really fancy stupid dinners that I had to go to so they had dresses ready for me and I shoved one in my bag before I left." Kyle tried to hide his laugh, but when I heard I elbowed him, "What's that bub?"

"Nothing, just imagining how upset they'll be when they find out."

"I highly, highly doubt it will be missed."

"Well, I'm still upset. How come I haven't seen it yet??" Abi said with crossed arms.

We heard the warning bell and stood, threw away our garbage and headed for the hall. We were met by Marissa.

"How's your dad, Liar?"

"How's your face bitch?"

Kyle snorted, Abi had that 'oh, burn' look on her face.

I smiled, "As much as I'd like to hang around and beat your ass some more, I have class so if you don't mind.." I moved past her.

***

After school Abi, Kyle, and I headed over to my house--after I called mom and made sure dad was out. Back to old routines I guess. We ate and watched TV after introducing Kyle to Mom. Before long everyone had left and mom and I were washing the dishes.

"He's a nice boy. Are you excited for the dance?"

I smiled, "Yeah, I think I am.. Kinda nervous too, though. But before the dance is the avenger show. Abi and I want to go. But here's the thing, since she knows, I really want to stay in the tower like we used to. Hang out with everyone as long as I'm not seen with dad."

"I don't see why not."

"Really?!" I looked at her with a smile.

She laughed, "Of course."

I hugged her tight. "oh and we'll probably have a shopping spree up there for prom."

"Got it, I'll tell Happy to pack ear plugs for himself."

"Well we could drive ourselves."

"You're a good driver, Toni, you shouldn't drive in New York."

I laughed, "Okay okay."

***

The night before the Avenger show, Abi slept over at my house, after telling her mom that we'd be in New York for the weekend. She and the kids promised to look out for us on TV. In the morning we were hurried onto the jet where we fell onto the bed and slept through half the flight.

"Girls, wake up, we're landing in two hours."

We started moving around and by the time we landed we were dressed--I with minimal effort with shorts, a t-shirt, and no make-up; Abi looked amazing.

"Damn girl you look fiine." I said looking at abs as she stepped out of the bedroom, hair in beautiful beach waves, wearing a minorly sequined top and dark blue jeans that she'd modified.

"But it's casual enough for this right?"

"you look perfect, and you did a good job at passing time, we should be landing any minute."

"I'm really nervous. How am I supposed to act around heroes?"

"You did a great job when we were hanging out with Steve, I'll introduce you, but don't worry, they're all nice people."