The Dinner

Chapter Twenty-Four

Abi shook me awake when the plane landed. "I'm going home, T, but I expect your call tonight."

"And by that I hope you mean 'i know you're going to fall asleep, T, so expect my call at one am'...God I'm glad you came to New York."

Wrapping her arms around me, she said, "Me too. Congrats on becoming a Stark officially. Later, T."

"Bye, Abs."

Mom drove us home but once there I sat in my car to call Kyle.

"Hey, Toni, you're back?"

"Yeah, where did you want to meet?"

"Well, it's pretty late for a restaurant, I have a blanket, and some food...Do you want to meet at the beach and sit for the rest of the night?"

"That sounds amazing. I'll be there in a few."

*****

I spotted Kyle before I'd finished parking, and tried not to hurry over to him. "Kyle!" I waved as I hit the sand.

He waved back from the blanket. "How are you?" He asked when I neared.

"Good, i think." I smiled. "Honestly I still don't know what's going on."

He laughed, "Yeah...I'm in the same boat."

I sat beside him. "I already did one interview today this one is way less intimidating if you have any questions."

"I mean, I don't really know what I'd ask! I feel like every question is answered, ya know? Tony and Pepper Stark are your parents...Just because it's new doesn't mean it's like 'what are parents'. Ya know?"

"I guess, yeah." I smiled. "Well then how was your weekend?"

"Severely uneventful compared to yours."

"Well I think most weekends compared to the one I had are nothing. But I don't want to just talk about me."

"I did homework and watched Stark TV to see if I'd spot you in the crowd. But I guess there was no chance of that."

I grimaced, "Oops?"

He laughed and reached his arm around me, I inched closer to make it easier. "How did the interview go though? Nervous for nothing?"

"Oh, I haven't the slightest. It was so weird."

"So, not a fan?"

"God no."

He laughed, "I'm sure it went fine." Silence engulfed us before he spoke, "You're quiet because you haven't worked through your new last name yet?"

"Because I don't know what I'm supposed to say, or do, or feel. It's all really confusing, but I feel like it shouldn't be."

"Okay, okay, but what have you been thinking about?"

"I don't know."

"Yesterday you said you were scared, are you still?"

"I guess... I mean school tomorrow? Everyone doubted that I know who my father is... But even they knew my father then and now..."

"The fuss will die down, you know, a celebrity will get pregnant or something."

I nodded. "I'm still scared. And I get that I don't have to be, but I feel like it was way too late to bring this to light."

"That part is over, you can't change it. Deal with it, because you can."

"All the paperwork at school says Miller."

"You can straighten that out."

"What if I don't want to?"

"What?"

"What if being a Stark is harder than being a Miller? I've hated it off and on my whole life, but at least I knew the troubles that came with it. People have tried to kill my parents, Kyle, and any time they're in public someone is there to take their picture or ask stupid questions. I'm not a people person and people are going to find out where I live, if they haven't already, because I'm in highschool where I'm not a people person so they're out to get me."

"Not to get too cheesy before our first scheduled date, but I'll be here to help you with all of that. If you want my help you've got it. The unknown is always scary, but this is going to be a good thing in the long run."

I rolled my eyes.

"I mean it, T. You've got me any time you need me."

By the look in his eyes we were definitely going to kiss, and if it hadn't been for Loki it would've been my first kiss since Kindergarten. But after Loki, I felt like a hardened veteran in the kissing field, and I took Kyle head on. Surprised the Hel outta him.

"So...Surfing?" He said a few moments later. "I didn't bring my board though, so never mind--uh," he laughed, "Fuck it." He brought our faces back together.

"Kiss me in the water."

"I dig you."

I stripped down to my bikini, and Kyle was already in his suit before we raced to the water. Kyle was taller and we went out to where his chest was barely above water. I kept my arms around his neck to stay above water while we kissed.

I could feel him smile as he decided to run his fingers down my sides. Then, all too quickly he brought his hands up from my ass to the small of my back and one on my neck.

"Kyle, what happened?" I opened my eyes but found him staring at the shore. "What is it?"

"I don't know but most tourists don't come to this beach for more than the sunrise. I wasn't going to tell you, I know you don't have social media, but everyone in school has already outted you. The press already knows where to find you."

I laid my head on his chest, "Should we get out?"

"No, then it could look like we got caught doing something more than making out."

"We almost did, and I was almost really happy."

He looked back to me. "Next time...C'mon, T, it's your first night in the spotlight we can't do this already. Next time we'll be at my apartment. "

"Good, maybe then you won't have your eyes open."

"I just opened them and saw a person with a camera."

"Sure, I get it, you weren't having fun, so you didn't need to put in effort. It's fine."

He laughed, "Oh come on--"

"It's fine, I'll just wait and see what you can really do. You better bring your A ga--"

He kissed me, successfully shutting me up. "Just keep your hands above water."

"If i didn't I would sink low enough I couldn't kiss you, asshole."

"Next time we'll be in my apartment," He said again, hearing my underlying frustration.

I rolled my eyes and really wished next time could be that night but I was sure my parents would freak at me coming home in the morning after going out to see Kyle. And maybe now wasn't the best time since Dad could leave the house. "Next time," I whispered as I laid my head on his shoulder. "Tell me when he leaves, I'm going to crash soon."