The Press

Chapter Twenty-Three

The night after the Avengers show(before the interviews)

Abi and I were sleeping in what was once secretly my room away from home, know previously as guest room number 2 of 3.

"Well," Abi asked, "are we gonna stay up decorating your room or not?"

"With what?" I laughed. "You can come help me after we shop."

"Pft. You're talking to a gal with four siblings remember? That's steal shit from around the rest of the place, cut out some cute paper bull shit and print pictures of us to plaster everywhere."

So we did. For the next few hours i didn't have to think about anything except how, "I never have to lose you." I stared at Abi until her beautiful face made me tear up.

"What?"

I hugged her so tightly I knew she couldn't breathe, but neither of us moved a muscle. "Even if I leave Hawaii, I don't have to disappear any more. You really will be my best friend forever."

"Of course i will.. were you questioning that?"

"Abs, I've had to leave a lot of people behind. Without warning, and without being able to tell them where I've gone. But I'll never have to do that again. And these pictures prove it. Thank you so much." And just like that we were both crying.

***

"You should call Kyle," Abi said after housr of sitting up telling her my life stories and her telling me which ones to avoid at the upcoming interview.

I left the room to wander the halls as I sent a video request. What was I going to say though? Shit too late

"Toni, hey."

"Kyle...uh... what should i say here?"

He chuckled. "You don't need to say much, just, uh, wow..." a small smile lit his face. "Kinda crazy."

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you. If Id known dad was going to do this I would have told you first."

"Don't worry about that... why did...I'm just kind of confused on the whole thing... why couldn't you tell anyone before?"

"Uh, mom and dad were just worried that something could happen."

"Are you okay?"

"What do ya mean?"

"I mean, are you okay?"

It was my turn to smile. "I guess, I'm still pretty surprised too, at this point I thought no one would ever know... now everyone does. I'm scared."

"When do you get back?"

"Tomorrow night. I have an interview in the morning, which also terrifies me."

"You'll be fine, Toni, you're a really cool person to talk to. Just make sure that comes through in the interview and everyone will love you. I'll be here when you get back, we'll grab dinner?"

"That sounds great. Thank you for not freaking out, Kyle."

He laughed again, "What was I going to freak out over? I still know who you are. I'll see you tomorrow night, it's late there, get some sleep."

"Kyle...I think... Now, I'm real."

*************

Post interview

It was one o'clock by the time we finished interviews. Oh god that was horrifying... The magazine people walked around picking up the photographer's lights and all that. I met mom and dad outside of the room we'd been in.

"Well, I hope that went well," I said hugging my parents. "I don't like this."

"You won't have to do any more, Toni."

"Yeah, and no one likes this part anyway, totally normal," Dad patted me on the back. "Let's go get lunch."

We made our way down to the lobby after finding Abi, but didn't get any farther before seeing the wave of reporters waiting outside.

"Friday, is Happy waiting with the car...? Good. We need to make a run for it guys."

I glanced at Abi, neither of us were quite ready when the door man let us through. There was too much shouting to make out what was being said. A few security officers held the mob at bay as we hastily made our way to the car, which I saw in-between the many flashes of lights.

After we filed into the car and shut the door, Abi and I stared at each other silently for a few seconds before she broke the silence. "What the Hell."

I glanced at my parents, "Yeah, what the Hell?"

"Luciano's is good about keeping the press out, there will be more of them but they can't cross the ropes so they won't be as close."

"Got it... Damn, though, I've seen that shit a million times on TV. I didn't think it could be so disorienting."

Abi nodded, "Yeah, that was insane."

Luciano's was a 4.5 star restaurant , that served hand made pastas and other italian foods. Each meal was crafted specifically by the chef, along with the best compliments in appetizers and desserts--I'm told that list stretched to wine but Abi and I had to skip that part--no special orders. (A/N this place is actually in Mulvane Kansas but my parents love it and this is literally the description. Well they don't tell you no special orders, but when a meal is crafted by the chef...you eat it)

It was easier to get inside, and once we were, we were seated at a center table. I felt really out of place because I hadn't known we'd be eating in a fancy restaurant. but that faded when I saw my dad was in jeans. Bless the old man...

Leaving was also simple and we were on the plane headed for hawaii by 3.

"Kyle and I are going to grab dinner when we get there so I'm going to need a nap." I took Abi by the arm and pulled her to the bedroom with me. "I'm so nervous."

"What did he say last night?"

"I don't know, he seemed okay with it. But what if it's really awkward trying to talk to him now?"

"Don't let it be."

I sighed, "You're no help."

"I mean it, T. It's partially up to you if it will be awkward. You like him. You know him. Just talk to him like you did four days ago."

I nodded slowly... "Yeah. Yeah. You're right. I know I'm overthinking this..."

"Girl, who wouldn't? but you'll be fine. We've got eight hours before we get there. I'm going to my house and going to bed. You have a date. You need that nap."

"Deal."