-J

Chapter Twenty-Eight

"Hey, Mom, Dad, I'm home!"

"How was school?" Mom asked from the back porch.

"Not bad, I almost didn't respond when Mr. Collins called Stark on roll. Did you fix it already?"

"Your dad did, yesterday. He'll probably be home soon... Oh, there is something you and I need to talk about before he gets back."

"Okay, what's up?"

"Come with me." She pulled up a TMZ video from the night before. "You and Kyle were caught kissing on the beach the night before last."

"So?"

"Don't say 'so'. This is something that you're going to have to learn to avoid."

"I don't see the big deal, we're teens and we're dating. Kissing happens."

"Not in public, not anymore. For the next few months at least."

"Oh, come on, Mom. The beach was empty, and we'd just finished talking about everything. Plus in the public is the only time dad is okay with him and I hanging out alone."

"Toni, that's because you can't kiss in public. Besides, you weren't going to listen to him, you're teens, remember? As long as you're home by curfew he probably won't even bring it up... Listen to me, okay? For the next few months we're all going to have to stay under the radar."

"Okay, okay."

"Promise?"

"What exactly am I promising?"

"No kissing--or anything else in public, no fighting, nothing that could land you on any front page. Because," she pulled up another video, but left it paused. "I think you handled yourself well yesterday with Marissa. But don't let this go any farther either."

"I will try my very hardest, mother dear."

She sighed, "I guess that's all. I'll call you in when dinner is done."

"What should I do until then?"

"Is your homework finished?"

"For the next two days."

"Then do whatever you want."

"I don't know what that is anymore. My suit is built, I'm a Stark, and my two friends are busy-- can I go flying?!"

"Absolutely not. The suit is for emergencies only."

I huffed and turned away from her, "Fine, fine, I'll be in my room."

***

Yo, fury, if you're reading this let me know if that inviso guy is still hanging around cali.

You were an unnecessary piece in Justin's recruitment.

What ?

You never wanted him to join us.

What

He is in SHIELD custody.

Why?

Hello? It was Justin that didn't want to join, there's a difference.

If you wanted him to join you would have used your visit to california for recruitment, not a beach day with your friend. You weren't old enough for the job, you let his emotions influence you.

You're an ass. Justin isn't necessary. There are plenty of powered people in the world. It just gives you a rush to force people. WHy couldn't you leave him be?