She's Penelope Miller

Chapter Ten

"Dad drive faster!"

"Toni, we're almost there and us getting in a wreck would help no one. Just take a breath okay?"

But I couldn't. Not until I saw mom, sitting down waiting to be released... We turned a corner and the hospital came into view. She had to be okay. She just had to. But her car... No. She's fine.

Dad parked the car in a no parking zone and we both ran inside, and to the desk. "Penelope Miller?" I said. "Where is she?"

"Are you family?"

"Yes! I'm her daughter and that's her hus--?" I looked at dad.

"Her husband's friend. He's not here and wants me to see her."

"I'm sorry only family is allowed at this time. Room 19H. You'll be able to visit in..."

Her voice faded to the background as I tore through the hallway. I should have waited for him, I wasn't prepared for what was in room 19H.

I reached for the door nob with a shaking hand, and with one last silent prayer I opened the door.

"Mom?" I froze, my hand still on the door. "Oh, Mom..."

Her eyes were closed but not in a peacefully sleeping way, she had a tube in her mouth, an IV drip, and gauze basically anywhere visible. "Mommy..." I ran over and knelt beside her. "Oh my god, Mom..."

The door opened behind me, "Oh, I didn't realize she had a visitor."

I turned"What's wrong with her? She isn't waking up."

"She was in a car accident. Several broken bones--including two in her spine--and swelling of the brain. The doctors put her into a medically induced coma to try to reduce the possibility of permanent brain damage."

"What?! Well when can they wake her up?"

"Not until the swelling goes down."

"How long does that take?"

"It could take days it could take weeks. We can't know."

"But she will wake up,right?"

She sighed. " She'll likely wake up."

I looked back at my mom. "She's Pepper. She's beaten worse things," I whispered.

She raised an eyebrow. "Her name is Penelope Miller, are you looking for someone else?"

I slumped to the floor by the bed, "No... No, this is my Mom."

She checked all of the monitors and was about to leave but said, "Come over here and sit."

"Why?"

"Your feet are bleeding."

"What...?" I looked down and saw they were indeed bleeding through the white socks. "The crash site. I must've stepped in glass..." I stood and walked over to a chair, only then realising how tender my feet were. The nurse took out a pair of tweezers and a few sanitizing wipes.

"I'm going to take the socks off, if there's any glass still in your feet it might sting."

I shrugged, but still winced as she slid the socks off.

"My name's Carla, you?"

"Toni."

"Cool."

I didn't say anything.

"Well, Toni, what school do you go to."

I rolled my eyes, but Carla didn't see. I always thought that question was dumb. Why ask where i go when you obviously don't go to my school at 25 years old. And if you do you definitely should not be a nurse! "West High. I'm a sophomore because she won't let me skip." A small smile spread across my lips.