The Return

Chapter Fifteen

I walked to the hospital from where the bifrost had sat me--on an empty beach. The burn marks from the bifrost were easily stirred up before I left. When I walked in the door the nurses looked t me.

"Toni, we were wondering when you'd be back. Mr. Stark is already here."

"Thanks Jen." I walked back to mom's room and opened the door. "Hey, Dad..."

He rushed over. "Why the hell did you run away again?!"

"Because I was sent home for beating someone up. So... I went to Asgard."

He hugged me as the smallest of smirks crossed his face, and he kissed my forehead. "Wait, Asgard? How the hell? What the hell? Why he hell?!"

"Don't worry. Thor was there. All went well. I only saw Loki once, when I had to convince him I wasn't a spy for Fury."

He frowned for a minute. "We'll talk when we get home." He lead me over to our chairs and we sat. "Your school called. You were suspended for a week so...four? five days left?"

I didn't respond to that... "Have there been any more bumps?"

"No, she's steady, I guess. If that's what this is."

I nodded solemnly. "When will she come back, Dad?"

"I dunno, kid... I dunno..." I leaned my head on his shoulder. "Abi called while you were gone. She wants you to see her as soon as possible. Something about a boy? Could this be the same boy who called our house twice while you were gone?" He asked with a look.

"I should go see them."

"Then we'll also talk about the boy when you get home. Until then, go see Abi--and Abi only."

"Seriously? He's just a friend. I've been gone three days and I can't tell a friend I'm okay?"

"Toni, don't start with me. Go see Abi, and I'll be home before you. Then we can talk about all of this."

"All of what? I made a friend."

"Toni. Go. Now."

"Fine!" I squeezed mom's hand and left. My gosh! Mom is supposed to be the strict one! Just because she's all but gone does not give him the right to start caring about what I do! I walked to Abi's house and inside was it's usual pleasant chaos. "Abs?!"

She ran from one of the back rooms of the house. "Where did you go this time?!"

I hugged her tight. "You have no idea how happy I am to tell you the truth. I was in Asgard."

"Really?!"

I nodded.

"Why?! What's there?!"

I shrugged. "I just didn't want to be on earth... too much was happening and now I can be back in school in a couple days with a fresh mind. Everything is just crashing down around me, Abs." i sat down. "Mom might be gone forever, my dad's turning into a controlling asshole, I've missed half a month of school and counting. I like a guy who is so not interested in me... Abs...help. Please help me. I don't know how you can, and I don't like to ask you to, but I need your help."

"Aw, babe... Everything isgoingto be perfect...Just give it time."

"Abi, I have. I've lost track of the days mom has been lost to me... I've liked Kyle all year, and I never crush on guys because we're always moving."

"Oh please. Every girl on this island young and old has had some sort of crush on that guy since he moved here. You're the first girl he's talked to who isn't on a sports team--and he never once flirted before you."

"He hasn't flirted with me!"

"He looks at you every second you don't look at him. He isn't paying attention in either class you have together."

"How would you know?! You aren't in either of those classes."

"I have people!" she said slightly bobbing her head.

I laughed. "That's not flirting. And the first words he said to me were 'Hey Braniac'."

Abi rolled her eyes. "Whatever.. Toni everything is going to be fine."

"Do you have Kyle's number? My dad won't let me go see him but I'll call him."

"Yeah. I'm supposed to tell him when you get back. He was worried. But I told him you'd done this before." She handed me her phone with a shrug.

"Thank you.." I went to her contacts found Kyle and hit send on Video call.

He answered, "Hey Ab--Toni! You're back!"

"Yep," I smiled.

"Where did you go? And what was wrong when you ran from me after school? I was worried."

Abi wasn't on screen and her face said 'aweee..' while she stayed quiet. "I stayed with a friend of the family, they don't live here."

"Sounds secretive," he smiled. "But okay. well since you're back we should hang out tomorrow, get through the school grounding together," he said with a slightly sarcastic tone.

I smiled, "Sounds good, I have to go for now though cuz my dad wants me home so he can give me a talkin to about running off again. But yeah, Ill see you tomorrow."

"Cool, talk to you later."

"Later."

Abi jumped p and down, "SEEEE? He totally likes you."

"Abs, he wants to hang out. Hell I got him suspended. of course he'd want company while everyone else is in school."

.......................................................

At home dad was waiting for me as promised... I didn't know how I felt about that... I sighed as I stood out front, dreading whatever his new found parenting style would have in store for me. Usually he's pissed when I run but mom is always the one with the punishment. Dad is just mad that I worried mom. What now? I shook my head clear of thoughts and walked in. "Hey dad...?"

"I'm in the living room, come sit."

I made my way fairly slowly. "What do we talk about first."

"Toni..." He shook his head, much like I had outside.. "I'm not good at this. You know I'm not good at this. But You and I both know that you can't keep running away. You're more mature than that. And it's dangerous."

"Wouldn't be dangerous with my suit..." I grumbled.

"Don't bring up a suit now. You obviously aren't mature enough to have one yet."

"Whatever. I'm not arguing about that right now. And... I'm sorry I left. I know it's stupid, but then... When I ran I was too overwhelmed with life to think..."

"Yes... With you're mom, and being suspended from school, and now a boy. I can see why you'd--"

"He's just a friend."

"They always are kid... What I'm saying is. I know you're stressed Toni. I am too. Fury has been barking at me to do that show in New York and so are half the fans... I've been trying since the begining of this to get a hold of Bruce to see if he can help Pep... But I can't run away to a different planet."

"No but you can sure as hell sit in a hospital room wasting away everyday! Why can't you just face it? Mom is not coming back."

"Don't say that Toni! She will once Bruce gets here tomorrow."

"There is only so much we can do before we have to let her go, dad. When do you say enough?" I walked out of the house, got in my car and drove to Abi's. I didn't know when I'd started crying but I had to wipe tears away to see the road. "Abi? you still here? Can I stay here tonight?"

"No, she went to the store, but yes of course you can stay tonight."

"Oh, hi, Tina..."

"You're crying... Abi told me about your mom. I'm so sorry Toni."

I nodded with a sad smile, then sniffled, "Thanks."