The Day Off

Chapter Six

Steve took me to the pier. We spent the day going on rides and eating corn dogs and nachos and cotton candy.

"Thanks Steve. I needed today."

"I could tell. So, what's been bothering you? And don't say nothing."

"My dad--he... I built a suit while he was in New York...he came back drunk and destroyed it."

His face fell, a silent battle playing in his eyes. His relationship with dad was never the strongest of the Avengers', and I saw that old anger flare up in him.

"Toni... That's terrible." But he was always good about suppressing that flare around me.

I shrugged, trying not to make the situation worse. "Yeah, well, it's over."

"Anything I can do to help you out?"

"No...I mean this was already a help. It was a nice break. Do you have any ideas on how to get a guy against SHIELD to help me?"

"Uh, I wouldn't know, sport. I wouldn't want to force someone into that organization."

"Me either," I mumbled. "But Fury said they'll send someone else if force is needed. I didn't want that to happen to this guy."

He nodded. " I understand, but if this guy is dead set against them, nothing you say will bring him in. And if Fury really wants him, it's already over... I want you to call your mother when we get home. Regardless of what Tony did, Pepper didn't do anything."

I nodded. "Okay."

****

"Toni Amanda Stark! Where are you?"

I stood in Steve's guest room, he was giving me time to talk to her alone. "Mom, calm down. I'm in California, still with Steve. Everything's fine, I just wanted a break."

"Toni,your Dad feels terrible."

"Hungover?" I guessed.

"I meant about your suit. He's just terrified of you growing up."

"Mom, you're talking to me how you do the press. You can't talk for him, I'm his daughter. I want to hear those words from him, but only if he means them--and regardless, I'm not ready to hear him out yet..."

"Toni..." She said with a sigh. "Please come home..."

"Not yet. I have things I need to take care of before I do. I'll keep in touch though."

"Toni don't you dare hang--" *beep*

~√~√~√~√

Pepper's POV

"Toni. Don't you dare hang--up... She is exactly like her father." Tony rapped his arms around my waist and leaned down putting his head on my shoulder from behind, I pushed him back. "Oh, no. Tony I haven't finished with you yet either."

"I was afraid of that..." He muttered. "But! I have some things to take care of at the lab so...! If you don't mind save your rant for later."

"Are you not even the slightest bit concerned about our daughter?! You haven't even asked about her and I just got off the phone with her."

"How is she?"

I huffed out a breath. "Tony..."

"She's in Cali, where Rogers lives. They went to the coast and then back to Rogers' house."

I stared at him.

"Jarvis updated me when her phone came back online. I get updates daily, but of course, while we were in New York," he sighed. "While we were in New York I was too busy to check them, so I didn't know she was at the lab.. "