Goodbye.

Melissa's POV
5 days later
I open my eyes to close them again because of the light that shines right into my eyes. I slowly open them again and adjust my surroundings. My mom is asleep on the couch, Peter is sitting next to me holding my hand. My dad is nowhere to be seen. I see tear stains on Peter's cheeks. I reach my hand out to sooth his cheek but that only makes him wake up. He opens his eyes as he jumps up and looks at me.

"Dear lord Melissa! You're awake! How are you feeling?" he says holding my hand again.
"Numb." I say truthfully, my voice cracking.
"What happened?"
"You....uhm...you and Shawn had a fight. You were in the hospital because you've passed out and when he came to see you you've had an anxiety attack and passed out. You haven't woken up since 5 days."
"Oh uhm I uh where is he?" I ask still afraid that he would break my heart again.
"He uh he had a concussion after the visit he made. He...he doesn't remember anything about this past 8 months."
"B-but that's exactly when we met. No no no no. He remembers me right? Peter please tell me he does." I say as I feel tears forming.
"I'm sorry." he says looking down.

I start crying. Like a little kid who fell and hurt her knee. I did fell but this time my heart hurts rather than my knee. The boy I love with all my heart broke me and than forgot every single memory we've had together just like they were nothing.

I've cried all day until I fell asleep. I can't take this much. I have to get away and college is my only opportunity.

The next morning I wake up my eyes feeling sore from crying all day yesterday. I see Peter again when I first open my eyes but this time I'm the one who has stains on their cheeks. I slowly sit up and Peter wakes up again. Damn. This kid wakes up way too easy.

"Good morning." he says his voice raspy.
I nod my head, not finding the urge to speak. I point my index finger to the bag where I can see my macbook in.
"Do you want your macbook?" he asks me and I nod my head.
He gets up and brings me the computer. I mouth 'thank you' to him and turn it on. I start writing the essay I should send to the university. Peter opens his phone and I can see him scrolling trough instagram. It took me 3 hours to finish the essay.

There wasn't any spesific topic so I picked mine. It was about heartbreak. At some point even I thought I was talking about something physical. I check it one more time and send it to the e-mail adress that was written on the acceptance letter.
I had to do this. I had to get away. He forgot about everything and now I'm in so much pain.

I turn to Peter and finally talk for the first time today. "Where's mom and dad?" I ask my throat sore from not talking all day.
"They went to his room to say get well soon and see how Karen and Manny are doing." he says looking at me with sympathy. "What did you write for three hours?" he asks curious. "My essay." I say as I watch the shocked expression on his face. "That's awesome. Oh and while you were asleep your doctor came and told us that you could go if you are feeling well."

"C-can I see him one last time?" I ask hesitantly.
"Are you sure?"
"Y-yeah I wanna say goodbye." I say.
"Fine then come on I'll help you." he tells me as he helps me get up from the hospital bed.

We go to the end of the long corridor that my room was on. We come to a stop after a few doors.

"If you're feeling uneasy about this we can turn back." Peter requests.
"No I should at least say goodbye to him." I say and he slowly opens the door to reveal his and my parents talking and him laughing at something.
"Honey you're awake!" my mom comes to me as all their heads snaps at our direction.
She hugs me and helps me walk inside the room.

I sit next to Shawn and we look each other for a moment.

"Hi, I'm Shawn." he says smiling at me.
"I know I'm M-Melissa." I say looking down.
"We should leave you guys alone." Karen says smiling at both of us ressuringly. They all get out and Shawn starts talking.
"They said I forgot somethings are you someone I knew before?"
"Yeah uhm don't worry about it. I want to say a few things because I know you'll remember and if you do I wanted to say goodbye before I left." he nods his head but looks confused at the same time.

"You know you are my favourite singer and you stole my heart when we first met. I know you don't remember but I want to get this off of my chest. I never ment to hurt you or break your heart. I'm gonna leave eventually and I know I'm gonna miss you. So for the last time I want to say I love you. I'm gonna leave a box for you please take it. And uh..." a tear slips from my left eye and I get up quickly.

"I should go." I say as I rush out of the room.
When I get out my legs give up and I fall to the ground. I start crying again. Peter comes running from the vending machine and hugs my weak and lump body. I cry on his shoulder and he carries me bridal style to my room. He lays me on the bed and soothes me by rubbing my back.
"It's gonna be okay Melissa. Trust me he will remember." he says.
"I decided to transform my school to LA to be with you." he says and I smile for the first time in a week.
"Thank you." I whisper and we cuddle until my parents come in to take me home.

After all, I said goodbye.