Make It Real - Chp 26 [Melissa]

“I love my family so much, they are nice, sweet and they look after me when I’m upset.” I sat in one of the seats in our Year 2 class watching as Erin stood up the front reading out her work to the class, our teacher Mrs. Brady, watching on with a proud smile.

“In my family there is my mum and my dad who buy me everything I want,” she listed off “and then there is my twin brother Liam – who is right there.” She pointed out eagerly and I giggled softly as I watched Liam blush slightly and sink slightly lower in his chair, still he beamed brightly back at his little sister “than there is my bestest sister in the world Mel, who’s just-“

“She isn’t your sister!” Jake a boy in our class called out loudly, catching Erin off guard as she looked like she’d been slapped in the face.

“She is too!” Erin cried backwards, her face turning red with a mixture of rage and humiliation.

Jake shook his head as he pointed back at me “She’s your friend not your sister. Isn’t that right Mrs. Brady?” he asked her, seeking teachers clarification smugly as I felt like I’d been struck in the stomach.

Mrs. Brady hesitated before answering “Well yes, Melissa is Erin’s friend, not her sister.” She confirmed as Jake looked childishly smugly up at Erin.

“She is so!” Liam cried from the table over, startling me beyond belief at the rage upon his face “She practically lives with us and my dad said you don’t have to have blood- the same blood” he corrected himself getting worked up “to be family!” he cried back at Jake.

Mrs. Brady’s eyes grew in alarm “That’s very true Liam, now clam down and sit back in your seat.” She tried soothing the situation as I watched Liam in awe, my eyes following his every movement.

Liam gave Jake one last look before sitting back down in his seat, looking like a wild scary bear as he folded his arms and huffed. Erin hesitated before smiling brightly at her brother with gratitude and respect – she had always seen her brother as her hero – before she started reading again.

“Mel is my sister; we play lots of games together and have lots of sleepovers! And one day I asked mum if we could share my room with her because we were sisters and mum said yes….”

              ೋღ♥ღೋೋღ♥ღೋೋღ♥ღೋೋღ♥ღೋೋღ♥ღೋೋღ♥ღೋ

“I can’t believe you just barged in there!” I cried, barging just like he had before in through my front door and instantly into the house, not a home but a house.

“Look I know it was stupid alright? But you know how I get when I’m mad!” Liam cried storming quickly in behind me trying to keep up as I trudged into the kitchen and reached for the fridge.

I snorted as I threw the freezer open “Yeah, and of all people you take it out on your broken hearted twin. Good job, bravo.” I mocked sarcastically as I greedily pulled the ice cream tub towards me and threw the lid off only to frown, I may act like a crazed animal at times but I wasn’t that wild to eat and claw the ice cream out with my fingers.

I spun around to find Liam right behind me, instantly startling me as my eyes grew and I gasped. Liam had an expressionless face as he held up a spoon in his hand as an offering and a little part of me that was furious at him still nearly crumble to smithereens. I took it from his hands and not caring how unhealthy or even lady like I appeared I shoveled a huge spoonful of chocolate chip ice cream into my mouth aggressively.