Chapter 28

"I'm sorry for waking you up sir, I will cease the pacing immediately."
I was whispering in case that man was still in the house. What if I said something that made him angry? What if that man could hear what we were talking about? Was he close?
Mr Lancaster just looked at me with scrutinizing eyes. He clearly knew something was up.
"Why are you whispering? We are the only two people here- in the entire building."

Dear God, I hope you're right about that.

"It's nothing worth talking about," I said slightly louder. Part of it was to appease Mr Lancaster, but if the man was still listening, he would understand that I was following his rules.
"I can be the judge of that," he said, almost aggressively, but it seemed like he was struggling to be gentle with me. Mr Lancaster knew he couldn't forcefully pry information out of me.
"No sir, it's late anyway-"
"I have the time to spare," he interrupted, while crossing his arms over his chest. He seemed like a parent trying not to scold a kids... Just yet.

Mr Lancaster? Time to spare? What in the world is happening? Does he know everything?

"Well, I don't sir, I am rather tired."
"Miss Hemmings, you gasped when I shook the door handle. I could hear you from the outside. Why did you lock it?"
"I have already answered that question, sir. I was nervous." The pitch of my voice went up slightly. It was obvious that I was both terrified and lying.
Mr Lancaster stepped into my room, closing the door behind him and any space that existed between us.
"What do you have to be nervous about?" His voice was dark and domineering, and his warm breath tickled my face... How could I keep lying?

You have to, for his sake!

"I will tell you another time, sir. Perhaps next week?" I hoped that the compromise would work.
"I do not tolerate compromises-"

Fuck!

"-Miss Hemmings. If I ask you a question, I expect a completely full and honest answer."
"I'm sorry sir, but I can't tell you anything yet." Damn it! My voice was soft and pathetic. I couldn't even look Mr Lancaster in the eyes.
"So there is something."
I didn't bother confirming his statement, as he already knew.
"And it scares you."
Again, I could have gotten away without answering, but I nodded my head slightly. Why did I have to be so vulnerable?
"Should I stay in here with you tonight?" His voice suddenly changed to something very soft, and almost completely unlike him.
My head finally snapped up, and I stared at him in confusion.
"I cannot have my new business partner falling asleep during her work hours. If you would like me to stay, I will stay."

Of course it's only about business.

"Stay?"
I knew I sounded pathetic. I must have been a disgrace to women everywhere.
"Alright then."
Mr Lancaster gently took the knife out of my hand and blew out the candle. He set them down on my desk on the right side of my bed, which had the letters. Since it was now completly dark in the room, he didn't notice them (thankfully).

I'll tell him after the ball. It's early Monday morning, so I only have to wait until Saturday. Or even late Friday night.

I climbed into the bed, and Mr Lancaster wordlessly followed me. I'm glad we didn't need to speak, because I wouldn't know what to say. He pulled me closer to him so that I was tucked against the his chest, with one arm under my neck. We fixed the blankets to properly cover both of us. It got drafty in the room once in a while, so we pulled the blankets up to our chins. Mr Lancaster was laying on his back, and I was curled up against his left side, with my head resting over his heart.
Maybe Mr Lancaster was thinking back to the time when I told him I liked it when he played with my hair, but I felt his finger hesitantly run through my hair. It was... Strangely, and surprisingly, comforting.
I was thankful for the silence. Words weren't needed at the moment, so I appreciated the fact that Mr Lancaster didn't force a conversation.
Mr Lancaster's fingers slowed until they finally stopped, indicating that he was asleep. I was afraid to wake him up again. I have already caused him enough trouble.