Chapter 26

Mr Lancaster was muttering something under his breath.
"Hm? What was that, sir? Perhaps you could speak up?" I asked jokingly, but also coquettishly. Only a little bit of that, though, since I wanted to rile him up a little.
He continued muttering quietly, but slightly more annoyed, as we walked up the stairs, towards his office.
I couldn't help but smile.
"Stop that," he commanded me.
"Stop what?" I said innocently, my grin only getting bigger. Even though I was following behind him, he seemed to be able to tell that I was smiling.
We reached the landing. Instead of turning right to his office, we went down two doors to the left.
With one hand on the door handle, Mr Lancaster quickly spun around, pointing an accusative finger at me.
"That."
"What? Is there something wrong?" I smoothed my dress and flattened my hair. "Is that better?" I batted my eyelashes charmingly at him.
My Cheshire grin got bigger.
How? If it got any bigger, my face would split in two.
Mr Lancaster growled, obviously not amused by my wonderful sense of humor.
That was fine though, since I was amused by my wonderful sense of humor. I even accidentally laughed.
"Miss Hemmings-"
"You never told me what to stop, Mr Lancaster, sir! How do you expect me to know these things? I'm not a mind reader!"
"Stop doing... That thing." His accusing finger drew a circle in the air close to my mouth.
"Smiling, sir? What's wrong with some smiling?" I was showing full teeth now. It was a most unladylike smile, but I figured it was still at least a little charming.
"It is a waste of time and energy," Mr Lancaster said as he grabbed my elbow and lead me inside a room. He quickly closed the door behind us.
I wanted to comment on how ungentlemanly that was, but I was too excited for my new office.
Well, new to me.
It was obvious it hadn't been used in a while. A thin layer of dust covered mostly everything, but the sunlight streaming in through the west facing window held promise. I rather enjoyed watching the sunset. I could probably go to Mr Lancaster's room in the morning to watch the sunrise, too.
"Your office, Miss Hemmings. It is directly across the hall from mine." Through the window, he pointed to his own office.
"Do you really need to keep an eye on me at all times, sir? Am I that untrustworthy?" I fake pouted at him, teasingly.

Since when were you one to tease people, Amy?

Since I realized how much fun it was to tease Mr Lancaster!

I walked around the office, waiting for Mr Lancaster's reply. I kept going with my infuriating smile.
His eyes never moved from my lips.

Probably since he was so annoyed with my grin.

It was a comforting thought, though. I was proud of myself. Who else could affect Mr Lancaster like I could?
I circled the decrepit desk in the middle of the room, letting my face relax from the smile. To him, I probably looked like a tiger stalking my prey. I ran one finger across the surface, noticing, with satisfaction, that the desk was not as dusty as I would have assumed it to be.
"Well, sir? Am I untrustworthy?" I asked in my fake sweet voice.
Mr Lancaster's body went completely rigid again.

As if he was able to tense up even more!

"No," he said, almost sounding hesitant.
"Why do you feel the need to keep an eye on me, then?" I kept prodding him.
"You get into trouble."
"Do I now?" I flashed a quick smile at him.
"You get me into trouble."
Mr Lancaster crossed the room towards me in a few steps. He held on my shoulders and urged me back until I was sitting on the desk.
His lips quickly claimed mine before I could even blink. Mr Lancaster took his hands off of my shoulders and held both sides of my face as his mouth massaged mine.
Like he did this morning.

I really should protest this. He said that I was meaningless! Doesn't he only want me for kisses once in a while?

The way he moaned against my mouth told me that maybe, perhaps, there may or may not be something else he wanted.