Chapter 34 • Surprise news•

"Well Christmas eve is great this year." I say sarcastically as Ethan places an ice pack on my forehead. I hiss in pain when he put too much pressure on my bruise. "Ow."

He smiles sheepishly. "Sorry." I give a slight smile when he apologized, then focusing back on Gray.

"So what happened again?" He asks.

"Well do you want the whole story or the sum of it?" I ask. He leans back into the couch as he answered. "The whole story." He says.

"Okay then." I mutter.

_______

"Babe!" I shout lazily, rolling over on the couch. I missed mama Dolan's couch. Ethan came running down the stairs, very happy. I smile at the smile on his face. "Why are you so happy?" I ask. "Not that I'm complaining, I love seeing you smile." I add.

He walks over to me, sitting on my stomach. "Augh." I moan from his weight. "It's snowing." He states.

"And?" I whisper out. He rolls his eyes. "And that means more snow to jump in." He says.

"And more to shovel!" Lisa call from the kitchen. Ethan groans as he flops onto the floor. I laugh at him, sitting up. "Ha ha, you have to do chores." I mock him. I stop laughing when Lisa speaks to me. "I wouldn't laugh Katherine. You're helping him too." She calls out to me, making me flop onto the floor next to Ethan.

"Ha ha. You have chores too." Ethan mocks me back. I roll on top of him, feeling his heartbeat when my head in on his chest. "Your heart rate went up. Am I making you nervous?" I smile at him. He makes eye contact. "You don't even have to ask that. You know you do." He answered, wrapping his arms around me. I smile in glee at this news.

"Really?" I asks for more confirmation.

"You always have." He confirms. My smile widens when he says that. I think my heart got bigger too. I know for sure my love did. "Awe."

"Okay love birds, go do your chores." Lisa says. Now that I think of it, where is papa Dolan? I'll ask later, he's probably sleeping.

"Fine." We both groan as we go slip on our jackets. I take his tuque, deciding I want to wear something of his. We both grab shovel and head outside. It's a bit dark out, since it's the evening. The lights make it look pretty.

"I'll take the driveway?" Ethan suggest. I shake my head in disagreement. "No I want the driveway." I argue. His next movement was so quick. He chucked his shovel at me. Luckily I was quick to duck. I stare at the shovel in disbelief. "What the hell was that for?!" I shout.

All he does is smile sheepishly. "I wanted the driveway. Since I threw the shovel down the driveway, I can go get it and shovel." He states.

"No I want it!" I shout, throwing my shovel at him before taking off down the driveway. "I call dibs!" I shout as I almost reach it.

"NO!" Ethan shouts right behind me.

"YES!" I shout, a smile on my face when I jump over to it. During my jump to victory, I am tackled. So now it's not a jump to victory. "Augh! No! I want it!" I shout as Ethan & I roll over each other to get to the shovel. "No! I want the driveway!" He shouts back.

"No! I..." I shout getting free before taking a little leap. "Want it! Ha! I got it!" I shout in victory. I roll onto my back, swinging the shovel, and hitting Ethan in the head along the way.

My eyes widen along with my fallen jaw. "Ethan I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hit you." I quickly apologize. He sits up in the snow, holding the right side of his head. "It's fine." He says reaching for the shovel. Out of guilt, I had him the shovel. Big mistake.