Twilight #2 (aka, A Retrospective Look at my Previous Rant)

Honestly, the title says it all. As part of the countdown towards the end of this book, I was gonna do a rant of Fate/Zero but honestly speaking, it's been a while since I've seen it and while I do think it's a masterclass of an anime, I've decided not to do it because it'll really just sound like a review of the series, and I've veered into that path too many times now that I read some of my older rants.

So instead of that, I'm gonna look back on a rant, that is, the one on Twilight, because my opinions on this series is a bit more complicated than it was in the past (and even when I was 14 it was....muddled)

So the thing about Twilight is that I've read the books as a 13 year old teen but mostly read them outta boredom. Don't get me wrong, they're still badly written but it's kinda hilarious in how bad it is. I remember Breaking Dawn and high key still snicker at Bella going over in a rage at Renesmee's nickname. Man, the movie was so mundane in the adaptation of that. I mean, the movie still adapted the scene, but I somewhat viscerally felt the sentence "I lunged" after that infamous line.

And honestly, as badly portrayed and over the top as it was, her anger over Jacob having imprinted on her daughter was perfectly reasonable.

From the movies, I liked the soundtrack...in small amounts. I bought both versions of "A Thousand Years" because I liked it, and Bella's Lullaby is a nice tune, and god forbid, fits the actual tone of the series. And Jacob's theme from Eclipse is really nice actually what the fuck why do the worst characters get some of the best theme songs—

The thing about Edward for me (and for most people) is that he is still a jackass, too stalker-ish for a romantic lead and is still controlling as fuck. A lot of people in Breaking Dawn called out Edward for calling the baby his WIFE was pregnant with a monster and yeah, that wasn't....great. But while he was looking out for the well-being for Bella in that instance where he told her to get an abortion, trying to force her to get one was a huge dick move. Like Edward, you asshole, thats her fucking prerogative. Like he constantly oscillates between caring and red-flag behavior throughout the series, it's kinda bizarre and there's no inbetween whatsoever.

When I first came across this series, it was through a friend of mine who really loved the books but wasn't a big fan of the movies. Which, you know, is fair.

I remember when I was in high school and tried to pick up the first book again and read it and I just couldn't

I remember when I was in high school and tried to pick up the first book again and read it and I just couldn't. Maybe I was more jaded back then, but i couldn't get past reading a few conversations, it was so awkward.

(Some) People have been giving Stephanie Meyer the benefit of the doubt, saying that Stephanie Meyer would be great as a horror author and tbh while I don't remember much from the series, I do think the Volturi were genuinely creepy antagonists, so yeah I can agree with that. Then again, Victoria was kinda one note for a major villain of the series, so I guess we can't have everything.

A few thing about the world-building of the series is kinda interesting, it just sucks that Meyer never explored some of those interesting avenues, especially given how long the books are. Like yeah, the sparkling thing is pretty dumb and people have made fun of it for years now. But I always thought that the eye color change depending on what type of blood (animal or human) the vampires drink was a pretty clever idea. It was different from what we would see in most other vampire related stuff and gave way to some really nice and also unnerving descriptions.