34. Beginnings of War

They appeared like shadows cast from the moon, but were so fast and deadly quiet one would assume they were imagining things, like mirages.

The darkness hid them as though they were made of it, which essentially one of them was. Their footfalls made no noise and they snuck through the castle of light with ease.

It had been almost easy to get in, it just took the right time and the knowledge of the fact that the castle eventually sleeps.

Everyone eventually sleeps, including Queen Zelina.

Syra smirked in her black suit that clung to her body and glanced back to make sure Sebastian was still following and hadn't been snagged.

He was and hadn't.

Syra thought back to the hours before and was rather shocked still at how easily he'd agreed to taking down the king of darkness and queen of light. Everything seemed far too easy, but Syra knew things had just begun.

They hadn't had to kill a soul, but had snuck by many throughout getting into the castle and were armed just in case they had to. Sebastian had teleported them to the gardens, but unfortunately the gardens were quite a ways from the throne room and Zelina's room that was in a chamber through the throne room.

That was the only way in and the only way out and it was guarded by two massive angels at night, Sebastian had informed her.

The castle at night was strange, it didn't have the gleaming light it usually did, but was dipped in shadows and lit only by few candles. The guards that patrolled the castle hallways, however, glowed a dull whiteness that was brighter than the candles like a walking flashlight.

Syra wasn't worried though, Sebastian and herself had managed, slinking skillfully into the shadows and blending in.

If the guards had looked well they would've seen the shape of bodies and the wisps of hair, but they were confident and cocky, assured their queen was safe because no one had dared touch the ancient angel in centuries.

No one was crazy enough, no one was determined enough...

No one was Syra or Sebastian.

Rage could be seen dancing in her lover's eyes from time to time and she knew he felt her pain, rage and agony of their unborn child being ripped from them. He knew, he saw, he felt it and they were taking their revenge.

Halflings had been born all the time, Zelina and Dante had probably created one, yet both were selfish, both were monsters and they had destroyed something Syra had loved.

A part of her was broken because of it and she knew it might never be fixed and revenge was just a small relief, but Syra would take any relief over none.

She heard Sebastian suck in a breath behind her and turned to look just as a glowing figure appeared at the end of the hall, she molded herself to the wall and hoped the shadows sucked her away.

She watched as the glowing guard continued down the hall with steady, calm steps and prayed it wouldn't come to murder. She knew though that just knocking a guard out wouldn't do because he'd awaken and yell for back-up, signaling 'intruders'. She knew she was a succubus, a creature of the dark Abyss, but wasn't a demon who fed on flesh and blood. She didn't kill and the thought made her stomach turn slightly.

God, she couldn't imagine what Sebastian thought and felt.

Her eyes flicked away from the glowing form of the angel to Sebastian's shadowed form that was as still as a wooden board.