Chapter 70 - Apology

Chiaki had informed Seiji prior to the meeting about her ex-girlfriend.

But since they had never contacted each other since breaking up, Chiaki didn't know which school Haruka Shimizu was currently studying at.

That was why Seiji received such an unexpected shock.

But it actually wasn't that important.

Both Haruka Shimizu and Tetsuo Sakaki didn't have any apparent reaction upon seeing Seiji, which meant that they didn't even recognize Seiji as the depraved otaku that used to attend their school.

Perhaps neither of them knew the original Seiji, or perhaps they were unable to recognize the current Seiji. He didn't know which it was.

The original Seiji didn't know either of these two people, but due to his infamous reputation at Koaki, there were plenty of students that knew him but not vice versa.

It didn't matter.

It didn't matter at all.

Even if they recognized him, Seiji felt like nothing of significance would follow. It wasn't like either of these two were his family members who he wronged to such a great degree; they were only strangers that had nothing to do with the original Seiji.

Haruka Shimizu's sharp senses perceived that the boy across from her had been slightly shaken.

Was his discomfort related to the fact that she'd introduced herself as a student from Koaki High School?

Koaki High School was a famous school in this district. Many of its students hailed from rich, governmental, or powerful families. The other students all specialized in various fields and were among the top scoring students in the country. It was definitely a modern-day school for nobles.

Normal schools couldn't even compare to Koaki High School, and while Genhana High School was above average, they simply weren't on the same level.

Seigo Harano probably knew of Koaki High School's illustrious reputation and had received a shock upon hearing that she and Tetsuo studied there. That was what Haruka believed.

The handsome boy's shock instantly disappeared without a trace after a brief moment, but Haruka was already certain that he wasn't as calm as he appeared.

Was he only... a decorative but empty-headed person?

A sudden impulse from somewhere almost made Haruka want to classify him as such, but her logical reasoning told her that it wasn't wise to judge others so hastily.

"Genhana High School... that's a decent school, and I've heard that the clubs there have lively atmospheres." She started a topic of conversation. "Chiaki, what club are you currently in?"

"Drama club." Chiaki had already recovered her composure as she answered lightly.

"Not a sports club?" Haruka blinked in confusion. "I thought that you'd be more like when you were at Yoshimizu Middle School... but drama club is nice, too. You seem suited for acting."

"Yeah, whenever I'm acting on stage, I can temporarily forget myself... I forget my real identity, and what I've experienced; it's much more comfortable to act as characters other than myself." Chiaki rested her chin on her hands as she made a subtle, cold statement.

Haruka's expression froze over.

'...How scary.' Seiji could only inwardly sigh at the grudge Chiaki evidently bore.

So this was probably the true reason that Chiaki joined the drama club... She wanted to mitigate her own painful feelings after being dumped.

Saying it so straightforwardly to her ex-girlfriend was akin to a direct attack.