Chapter 6 - Protection

It was a new day.

As usual, Seiji went out for a morning jog and returned home after working up a sweat.

After washing up, he prepared to make his own breakfast. Truthfully, he was slightly disappointed that breakfast wouldn't be provided for him every morning by a beauty.

Just as he was thinking this, there was a knock on his door.

"Miss Uehara?"

The pigtailed beauty pouted upon hearing this.

"...Mika?"

She finally showed a smile of satisfaction.

"For you!" She handed him the lunchbox that was in her hand.

"Oh, but this..."

"She... she already got used to making them, so she made one extra out of habit... that's what mom said this morning!" Mika looked away from him and showed a hint of shyness, "so there's breakfast for you today as well, and in the future... well, we'll probably make breakfast for you occasionally."

"Thank you so much, but wouldn't this be too much trouble..."

"It's no trouble at all; it's just food for one extra person. In... in exchange, if there's some work that requires physical strength around our house, you need to come help out!" She looked back directly into his eyes.

Seiji was surprised for an instant, before a gentle smile suffused across his lips.

"Thanks... I will."

His smile was breaking the rules with how dazzling it was, ahh! Mika felt like her face was burning up again.

After talking to her mom last night and confirming her feelings, she felt as if she was no longer able to look at Seiji normally anymore. Every time she did, she felt nervous inside, and her heartbeat seemed to increase severalfold!

Just hearing his voice and seeing him smile would make her cheeks heat up.

Ahhhhh—she couldn't take this anymore!

"I... I'm going to school!" She turned around and scurried off, leaving Seiji with the impression of her back and those twin pigtails swaying in the air.

"Be careful!" Seiji was slightly concerned she would trip.

Then, he returned back to his room to enjoy his breakfast.

When he opened the lunchbox, Seiji paused; he had noticed that the food inside was evidently different from before as every dish seemed to have been made by someone inexperienced.

He realized instantly that the previous breakfasts must have been made by the landlord, and this one must have been cooked personally by Mika Uehara!

He could envision that pigtailed girl waking up at the crack of dawn and clumsily cooking under the instruction of her mother.

The eggs were slightly burnt, the squid was twisted into a strange shape, and this cucumber... just how did she cut it into something that looked like it was an ingredient for dark magic?

Seiji sighed deeply.

He didn't have the ability to eat this type of breakfast calmly.

Mika Uehara was walking down the sunny street.

'He's probably eating his breakfast now... I wonder what he's thinking.' Her heart kept pounding as she thought this.

"Ahh—Mom... she forced me to cook for him personally, but this will be exposed instantly... it's so embarrassing!" She touched her own cheek and found that it was burning.