Chapter 42: Cooking Lessons

Dante couldn’t remember if he ever did get some shuteye. He thought his eyelids closed for a couple of minutes, but he was certain that it wasn’t what one would call an ample rest. Since Frank told him about Sharee, she’s been running in his mind until he found himself greeted by the sun’s earliest golden rays.

       It was morning. He himself felt the irony, being too sleepy to notice that he hadn’t slept.

       Dante got to his feet and walked towards the door. Stepping out, he went to the kitchen for some water, where he found Juliet busy with something. Both stoves were lit, one having the steaming pot while the other had raw pasta which was being softened over the heat.

       “You’re awake,” said Juliet as she noticed him when she looked over her shoulder, “I’m sorry, breakfast isn’t ready yet.”

       “It’s okay. I was wondering where I could some water?”

       “Oh, yes. I’ll get you some, but, could you keep on stirring this pot for me?” requested Juliet.

       “Sure thing,” Dante took the ladle from her, their hands touching for a brief moment, “This smells good.”

       Swimming in the pot were vegetables and chicken mixed with macaroni. The soup was very inviting, and Dante had to admit that her cooking skills were quite a match to his, better even. Upon returning the jar of water inside, Juliet closed the fridge and traded the glass of water with the ladle he held in his hand.

       “Thanks,” he took the glass and drank without stopping, “And by the way, if it’s alright, I’d like to have a bath. Is that okay?”

       “Ah, yes of course,” she nodded, “Can I leave you for a while I go get something? Keep stirring this pot for me.”

       “My pleasure,” gladly accepted Dante, “I love to cook.”

       Juliet heeded no interest into dwelling at his statement despite finding commonality between the two of them. She turned her back to him and marched away to fetch unused towels and some amenities for him to use. Her absence was sufficient time for him to give the pot a taste. It was good, just as he expected. Thinking that he could improve the already excellently seasoned soup, he searched for some powdered pepper in the shelves. Dante then generously added the gray powder into the mixture when he heard a woman’s voice speak behind him.

       “What are you doing?”

       Turning around, he saw Juliet carrying a neatly folded towel and some soap, her expression indistinguishable between wondering and furious. “I thought it could use some more spice, so I put in some pepper-

       “You shouldn’t have done that,” Juliet protested on what has already been done. She eyed him like an eagle primed for a swoop.

       How could you be so stupid Dante? Mind your own business.

       “I’m sorry, I just…you’re right. I shouldn’t have done that. Sorry,” Juliet sounded very threatening despite her gentle appearance. Looks do kill.

       “This is all I could find. It’s a bit small, but it will have to do. I don’t know where Father stored the other towels. Here’s some soap as well as some shampoo. The shower’s over there,” Juliet pointed to a pathway heading somewhere unseen unless a turn is made at the corner.

       “Juliet, I’m really sorry.”

       “It’s fine. Let me take that,” she bartered for the ladle with the towel she brought with her.