Chapter 40: Privacy

“Dante, how long are you going to play innocent? That you don’t have them?”

       The jolly curve on the priest’s face made him look very sure that Dante had the lawyer and his son.

       Although Dante felt in himself that Frank was bluffing whenever he acted that he knew he took the two, he couldn’t deny that what he deduced was the truth. Despite being unable to move freely in his current situation, he had an accomplice waiting for his return who kept them from seeing the light. He knew where the lawyer and his son were.

       They’re locked up in his very own house.

       “I give up,” sighed Dante, putting down his cup on the table, “If you don’t believe me, then there’s nothing I could do.”

       “There is.”

       “What?”

       “Tell the truth,” the priest just didn’t want to give up.

       “I’ve already told you-”

       “You’ve told me nothing but lies,” said Frank, cutting him shortly before he could deny it again. There was seriousness in his tone this time around.

       They fell still for a moment, Dante having realized that there must be something that served as a basis which made the priest strongly believe that he had something to do with Caesare’s disappearance. He didn’t want to be unappreciative to how Frank provided him with a shelter and nursed him back to health. He just wanted to be very careful.

       “I have no idea. Seriously,” lied Dante once more. He was so glad that he wasn’t Pinocchio.

       “How long will you keep this up?” asked Frank, smirking, “Fine. Before you go to hell for the lies you’re planning to tell me next, I’ll give you a hint. Your friend Cristoval sounded worried in his messages.”

       I knew it. He’s been snooping around my inbox.

       Frank’s been one step ahead of Dante ever since.

       “Forgive me for invading your privacy,” the priest cleared his throat, “Even before I took your phone for safekeeping, the texts kept on coming. It crossed my mind to call the sender to inform him of your current condition, and I happened to have read certain messages asking about what to do with a lawyer and his son. Strangely enough, Ethan and his boy were missing since then. I’m sorry.”

       Dante thought for a bit.

       Juliet quietly listened to their conversation, not wanting to intrude in the discussion of men, though she’s concerned for each of their well beings. Anytime someone spotted Dante in their premises, it would make them a criminal aider.

       Though learning of Dante’s innocence to the murder he was accused of was a great relief, it still wouldn’t be that easy. They couldn’t just expect everyone to believe his version of the story. Countless tales have been retold over the years and every remake, though may have sounded better than its predecessor(s), would only provide confusion to those who actually care to know what really happened.

       A prince would likely be believed over a pauper, while it wouldn’t even be in question when word came from a prison breaker. It’s false right away.

       By now the priest should be sleeping already, for the hour was late. Instead, he was sitting with the town’s wanted trying to squeeze every bit of info out of him, and he’s not even finding it hard.