Chapter 31: Truth or Consequence

The awkward silence inside the car was zoned out when Carlos’ finger found the radio. The station currently on air was in the middle of playing a song which made him turn the device off not a minute after he bestowed it life.

      The last thing he needed to hear right now was the lyrics of Westlife’s version of More than Words.

      The current time was good to spend the rest of the afternoon at home to relax, and that’s exactly what Carlos had in mind. Arriving at a diplomatic solution, he still couldn’t believe at how the events unfolded. It didn’t feel like a nightmare, and sure didn’t feel like he’s having a good dream.

      He’s awake. Very much awake to not feel the surge of anger and hate within him. Seconds ago, Dante’s overtook his car, but he didn’t bite. Driving on a steady pace, he let him take the lead. The day which he figured would be a perfect chance to have some fun turned out to be a hellish period of revelations he never imagined to exist.

      Unbuttoned, Dante’s coat flew behind him like a superhero’s cape and so did his hair, for he didn’t fancy a helmet. His wheels wanted to eat the whole road map at his current speed, for he really wanted to get to the house first and appear as arrogant and as unaffected as possible.

      Disappointed, he found Carlos in no mood to race as his car fell behind him, not putting up fight.

      He was faster than the wind.

______________________________________________________________________

      Back at the car, Sharee attempted to start the conversation early. She wanted to eliminate the small talk and condition his mind to whatever Dante had to say that she hasn’t said yet, for he’s never so gentle in cracking surprises.

      “Carlos, I’m so sor-”

      “Save it,” Carlos disrupted her from making an apology. No words of reconciliation could calm the volcano inside him. He’s been too soft on Sharee and almost worshipped her to be fooled like this. You’re in a relationship with a fugitive and you’re a cop. What else do I need to know?

      “If you’d just listen,” Sharee got silence instead of an answer, “Please,” she pleaded, but Carlos was deaf for the meantime.

      Only a few more turns from her house, Sharee was still thinking of a summary to make it as easy as possible for Carlos to understand. She already took into consideration the possible slap he’s going to give her. As Carlos released the pedal slowly, she prepared for the worst. She finally knew how bad Dante must’ve felt when she told her that someone else had won her over.

      He’s wants me to know the pain.

      Opposed to what Carlos expected, Dante’s bike was nowhere in sight when they arrived. Thinking that he got overconfident and decided to take a scenic route, Carlos didn’t get off the car. He swayed the air conditioning away from him, for he was colder than a frozen brook. He pretended to check his phone to look busy so as to prevent Sharee from thinking that he would finally listen to her.

      “Hey, why don’t we wait for him insi-”

      It was the second time Carlos didn’t let her finish a sentence. The only answer she got was Carlos forcefully pushed the door open and slammed it in the same manner which made Sharee very upset. Slowly she got out of the car as well.

      Afraid, she approached Carlos across the small lawn.

      “I know you’re mad,” Sharee spoke behind him, “Please say something,”