Chapter 17: Our Dirty Little Secret

“Sorry it took me a while. Did you wait long?” Sharee apologized upon getting home.

      “Took you long enough,” Dante forced a smile. He’s in a sour mood after waking up from his dream. He didn’t know good dreams could become nightmares after waking up from them.

      Seeing the need, Sharee went back to the police station before driving to her house. She needed to put the bar back to where it was to avoid suspicion. Doing this ate about thirty minutes just after she called Dante, giving him thirty minutes to mull his dream over and feel suicidal about it.

      “Did you get all?” asked Dante.

      “Here are the files you asked for,” she gave him a black flash drive, “the rest are waiting for you in the trunk.”

      Sharee acted like she had said everything she had to say, despite barely saying anything. The lack of words was getting awkward and their struggle to avoid each other’s eyes was making both of them feel uneasy.

      “Thank you,” he safely tucked the flash drive in his pocket.

      Dante was welcome but she didn’t say it.

      “Umm…you can stay the night,” Sharee offered as she went upstairs.

        “Thanks, but no,” refused Dante, although he’s grateful for the offer.

      “Are you sure? Your house is not a good idea,” said Sharee.

      “I’ll be fine. Thanks,” Dante reassured, “The dark would be an advantage.”

      Dante wanted to see how far Sharee would insist for him not to go.

      But contrary to what he hoped for, she didn’t. As he was about to get out, he turned around only to see the door to Sharee’s room close before him. He felt as if he was nothing. Sharee seemed to have successfully closed their chapter of the story. He’s history. Past. Soon to be buried deep by her memories with Carlos, or maybe already was.

      Irrelevant.

      Dante closed the door gently. Instead of being outside, his feet carried him to Sharee’s room. Taking a deep breath, his hand closed into a fist. It possessed the courage Dante didn’t have. Being braver than him, it knocked on the wooden door by itself.

      Nobody opened the door. He tried knocking again. She couldn’t have gone into sleep that fast. After a few tries, the door slowly opened, revealing a girl in her shorts. Dante couldn’t think of what to say as they stared at each other across the doorway. Her legs were so much of a distraction.

      They stood motionless.

      Nobody said a word.

      Seconds passed and they’re still petrified.

      Not by fear, but because they were waiting.

      Waiting for someone to make a move aside their own self.

      “Sharee…” he finally called out softly. He gave out voice as he uttered her name, unlike in his dream where he remained silent.

      There was fear in her eyes.

      Dante wasn’t someone to be wary of for she knew he’ll never do anything to hurt her. She was afraid for a different reason. She feared that Dante would come closer and kiss her. She was scared that she wouldn’t be able to fight back and let him do as he would. She got scared that there’s only the two of them in her room.