Chapter 2: Good Life

Frozen in place, Sharee didn’t know what to feel. She’s sorry for punching him, angry for what he did, and upset because she’s late for work. Dante was on the ground before he knew what hit him.  

      Women.

      Stronger than men when men least expected them to be.

      “I have only one, very important question. What was that for?” asked Dante, tasting the blood on his lips.

      Sharee’s mind travelled back to the first time she saw this guy, then to the last time she saw him. She cannot remember either, but all she knew was that he deserved that punch.

      “I’m sorry, can we not do this right now? I have work,” she answered, “I’m really sorry.”

      She left him.

      Just like that.

      She got in her car and drove away.

      She felt awkward. He was dumbfounded.

      While driving, she felt sorry for just leaving him there. Something was telling her to turn her car around and at least tend to his broken nose. A few blocks away from her house now, she made a U-turn and drove back the way she came.

      Upon reaching her house, she found out he wasn’t there anymore. He left a note though, saying he’ll be back, and he’s sorry for whatever made her punch him. Sharee didn’t know whether to be frustrated or happy that he’s returned.

      Where the hell has he been anyway? 

      Dante disappeared 3 years ago. She had no idea where he went or what he’s been up to. But he never forgot her birthday.

      “If he thinks he can just show up and expect everything to be the same, he’s terribly wrong,” she told herself.

      Things got weirder when Sharee arrived at the station. It had one thing in common with her birthday: it was a total mess. People walking back and forth, a wife hitting her husband, and Sarah’s daily routine scolding trainees. Telephones just love ringing every second so Sharee understood why her fellow officer at the far end desk yelled at the last caller.

      She thought nobody noticed her walk to her desk.

      “Good,” she was speaking to herself.

      Taking her seat, she tried to ignore the commotion around her. She went over some files. She wanted to get busy, but it was impossible with all the noise. She’s in the wet market, or maybe somewhere worse. She decided to check her phone which she hadn’t done since she left the house.

      4 missed calls. 1 text message. She must have not heard her phone ringing due to the carnival in the station. She read the message.

      “Happy Birthday. Dinner tonight? Please? 7:00. Where we had our first date. Be safe. I love you,” said the text message.

      “Okay. I love you too,” she replied.

      Sharee wanted to just skip the next boring hours and have dinner with Carlos. But the dinner will have to wait because someone just handed her a folder to work on. Her mind occupied by Carlos, she almost didn’t notice her chief approach her. Her motto was duty first, but Carlos would penetrate her skull to be in her thoughts no matter what.

      “Isn’t it about time you settle with a family? You’re getting old,” her chief said, being the usual jolly man he is, as he handed her a folder, “Happy birthday.”