Chapter 41: Roles Reversed

Waiting for a miracle that’s never going to happen, Sharee got tired of tracing the corners of her cell.

       She knew the risks, but she did it anyway. Now, she’s paying the price. Earlier in the day, she went through processing. She couldn’t look at the chief straight in the eye. For the first time, she had something to be ashamed of. Each of her once very close colleagues looked down on her in disappointment.

       Sharee had no other choice but to confess everything. Her past was dug up and Dante’s connection to her has been exposed. Now, she’s the one behind bars. Their roles have been reversed. Good job Sharee.

       Every little secret she hid came to surface, which made Leon make his exit. He disappeared in the middle of the mess, which served as proof to the Chief that she was truthful about how he helped him get access to the archives and how he tried to take advantage of her. Each piece of her story glued together.

       Should Dante lose sanity and decide to barge into the station, he wouldn’t have to travel far, for Sharee was detained right across the street. Sharee did him a favor with no questions asked. It would only be fair to return the favor.

       But not without a plan. Recklessness would pay the intended mischief with interest.

       Her eyes were getting heavier with every passing minute that nothing happens. Her bed at home looked so cozy right now, but rather than being there with Carlos, or maybe Dante, or maybe just be there without anyone. If she could be very honest to herself about her feelings, which she hadn’t been for a very long time now, she’d slap herself.

       She loved them both.

       Just as when her eyelids were about to shut, someone knocked on the bars. His face was against the light, but she could make out who it was.

       “Hello partner,” greeted Kurt.

       “Kurt,” Sharee stood up and walked to her partner, only that there were bars in between them, “Kurt I’m so sorry.”

       “I don’t really care. I’m sure you have a reason why did it,” he said, winking, “We all do dumb things at some point,” Kurt laughed.

       As always, Kurt has been her partner on and off duty. He would always understand him like a she’s family and would be there to listen anytime. Sharee’s tears fell upon seeing that she hadn’t lost Kurt.

       A friend in need is a friend indeed.

       “Hey, don’t cry,” said Kurt, wiping her cheeks, “Guess what, I bought you something,” he opened the plastic bag he held in his hand when he arrived, “Here’s a little something for you.”

       Kurt handed her a burger and some fries from the diner nearby.

       “Thank you Kurt,” her voice only became teary.

       “Don’t mention it,” said Kurt while handing her a can of soda.

       “Hey, aren’t you getting yourself in trouble for doing this?”

       “Don’t worry. Chief knows I’m here.”

       “Really?”

       “Yeah. You know, he may appear angry and all, but he wants you out of this cell as well,” explained Kurt as he munched on his food.

       It was unlikely that Kurt was right. Sharee saw how furious Chief Talons was when he learned the truth. It’s funny how the very badge which was supposed to be her pride would be the very object that would blow everything.