Chapter 37: Unwanted Guest

Finding its way into the priest’s ears with utmost ease, Dante’s tale became Frank’s favorite in an instant. Choosing not to leave him in the room, he learned of how the man he took in found a way out of hell. His thoughts scrutinized the story bit by bit until he pieced everything together, having fully understood how Dante met his fate in prison and eventually to his house.

       “But what happened to Ben?”

       “I…don’t know. That guy, I hope he’s okay,” Dante got worried at the thought of his old friend who made it possible for him to be free again.

       “God bless that person,” sighed Frank, “Well, don’t force yourself up too soon. I’ll have your dinner delivered in a later while.”

       Never breaking his daily services to God, the priest left Dante in peace to pray the rosary.

       As he heard Frank’s steps carry him away from the room, Dante endured the crunching pain and helped himself near the drawer. Pulling it open, his hands searched for his phone. Dante swiped its screen only to find that its battery was almost empty. He saw on the dusty screen some notifications.

       13 missed calls.

       8 from Cristoval.

       5 from Sharee.

       Knowing his current priorities, he dialed to call Cristoval back. The phone rang on the other line as Dante recuperated from the muscle he seems to have just pulled from attempting to move his body.

       While looking at the cross hanging above the door, someone spoke.

       “Dante! Where the hell are you!? I thought you died in the windmill!”

       “I’m so sorry brother. I’m fine. It’ll take more than just a burning mill to kill me. How’s the father and son?”

       “A wimp, as usual. Shallowlake has become a hunting ground mate, they’ve been looking everywhere for you!” exclaimed Cristoval, worried that the situation was dire.

       “Try to keep them well fed. Listen, it might be long before I return. But I’ll try to make it sooner.”

       “You better do. I don’t know how long I could stand this lawyer. He gets too noisy without a gag and he’s not even being appreciative that I let them take a bath,” Cristoval complained, “How about you give me the password to your computer? I need eyes outside.”

       “Maria.”

       “Huh?”

       “I said Maria, with a capital ‘M’.”

       “Got it.”

       “I’m so sorry that you’re caught up in the middle of this. Thank you my friend.”

       “Anytime,” assured his friend, “At least I’m not bored.”

       Gently putting his phone back inside the drawer, he thought of what else he needed to do. There’s not much he could accomplish in his current condition and he’s wasting a lot of time the longer he stayed babysat. Shocked was he to have discovered that the one he mugged would be the very person to assist him when he needed help the most. Dante didn’t expect to receive such mercy from someone he took advantage of.

       Picking his phone up once more, he remembered that he hadn’t only missed calls, he also had unopened messages. He read them one by one, starting from the first one, which was two days old.