A mothers love

Connie opened the door to her daughter and enveloped her into a tight hug. Grace gripped onto her mum firmly, she knew that she was the only person who'd make her feel better. "Hello princess," Jacob smiled, cuddling them both,

"We have wine and blankets and the fires on," Connie smiled, before stepping back as Maisie skidded into the kitchen.

Grace laughed as the dog jumped up, her tail wagging as Grace cuddled her gently.

"It's good to have you home," Connie smiled.

Jacob leaned forward and kissed Graces forehead, before kissing Connie's lips gently, "I'm on an early tomorrow, goodnight my girls," he yawned.

"Goodnight dad," Grace smiled, cuddling into Connie as Connie kissed her hair.

"You must remember it has nothing to do with you that he cheated," she told Grace as she ran her hands through her daughters hair, "before I married your dad, I was married to someone else... He cheated on me all the time; I asked myself what I was doing wrong... What I could do better... Life was better when I realised the problem lay with him and not me... Some people just cheat... And it's all on them,"

"Where's your ex husband now mum?"

"He died a long time ago now Gracie... He died after we split up and when I was being trained by your dad,"

"He didn't deserve her, like Dan didn't deserve you Grace," Jacob told them, choosing to sit next to Connie, his arm slipping behind her shoulders as he squeezed Graces shoulder firmly.

"Thanks dad," she smiled,

"I thought you were going to bed..." Connie smiled,

"Yeah well, I'd rather be with you two," he smiled,

When Grace was in bed, with Maisie curled at the bottom of the bed, breaking Connie's main rule, Connie stood overlooking their garden. "Sweet Cheeks," Jacob yawned, "come to bed babe,"

She looked over at him and smiled, slipping beneath the covers and curling into his warm chest.

"What's bothering you Con, you're normally fast asleep by now... She'll be fine you know, she's strong and tough like her mother,"

"It's just bought back some of those horrible feelings I used to have when I found out about Michael cheating," she admitted, "it was so long ago, but I can still feel the pain in my chest and the self loathing I had when I felt like I wasn't enough,"

He leaned over her and placed his hand on her cheek, his thumb brushing her skin softly,

"He never deserved you... He was a fool to hurt you... And I'm not a fool," he smiled, "I know how beautiful and wonderful you are, and I vow to spend the rest of our lives telling you that,"

"I love you so very much Jacob Masters," she told him, pulling herself as close as she could to him as he held her tightly.

"I love you too Con," he told her gently, "how about I see if Robyn can take my shift and we take the girls up to visit Mia tomorrow? Be all together again for a day?"

She nodded, "I'd like that."

As a family they loved the beach, it was spring and the sun was out and Connie wrapped her arm around Grace and Mia as they watched Soph, Evie and Jacob attempt to swim in the sea.

"Even Maisie isn't keen on the cold," Mia laughed and Connie rolled her eyes,

"That dog is still so lively," Connie smiled, "Sim chilled out a bit didn't she... But this one wears me out,"

Mia handed Connie a glass of Coke and she smiled, "it's really nice to see you all."

That night Grace lay on the sofa with Maisie, Connie leaning against Jacobs chest as he ran his fingers through her hair. Evie and Soph sat at the dining table, scribbling over their art work.

Connie and Jacob fell asleep and Grace

smiled, taking a picture of them.

"They fall asleep like this most nights when one of them isn't working," Soph smiled,

"It's cute isn't it," Evie grinned as Grace got up, and said goodnight, laughing as Maisie followed her up the stairs.