Passing out Parade

"My bet is on Connie," Chloe nodded, 

"He's a soldier,"

"She's quicker than he is,"

"Jesus Christ woman," he yelled, collapsing on the floor and kicking her feet from underneath her, laughing as she landed on the mat next to him,

"I win?" she nodded, holding her thumbs up at Chloe,

"Quids in," Chloe grinned, running over and helping Connie up, "Come on Con, we need to pack up."

"So the eleven of you have made it. You've passed your fitness and your skills tests. You've come a long way in the last fourteen weeks. Some of you will be posted straight away, some will go on for further training. You've all excelled yourself. Enjoy today and the parade. Look after yourselves when you're posted. Remember the team you are with will become your family. Look after each other."

Connie smiled, her eyes meeting his as her colleagues clapped loudly,

"I'm sorry about your husband," he told her as everyone filed out of the room.

She shrugged, "We were divorced," she admitted quietly, leaning back against the wall and looking up, trying to hide the tears that she hadn't yet shed.

He stood next to her, his arm brushing ever so gently against hers before he took her hand and held it firmly.

"If you need to cry..."

"No," she replied firmly, shaking her head and inhaling deeply.

"You didn't have to stay, we could have given you leave,"

She shook her head, "We divorced five years ago, he had numerous affairs, most of them when I was having treatment for breast cancer and... We tried again recently, but he played me for a fool and slept around again," She shrugged, "I said goodbye to him a long time ago," she admitted,

"You must have loved him once?" He asked, his eyes searching hers, as they remained standing side by side.

"A long time ago," she replied, before smiling at him, "But I didn't wish this on him... And I wish we'd had the chance for a normal conversation before he died,"

She wiped her eyes before nodding, "I'm ready for the procession,"

He let go of her hand, "I wouldn't expect anything less," he nodded.

"Connie," he asked, watching as she picked up the last of her stuff, after hugging her new colleagues and friends goodbye,

She looked up at him, "yes Corp,"

"Look after yourself won't you."

"I wanted to thank you," she smiled, "For teaching me how to shoot, and for pushing me,"

He nodded, "Just doing my job,"

"Oh and for the coffee," she smiled,

"This place won't be the same without you," he admitted, his dark eyes connecting with hers,

"What's your name Corp?" she smiled, stepping closer to him, "You've taught me ways to save my life and I don't even know your name,"

"Jacob," he replied, 

"Good name Sir," she smiled, watching as he took her hands in his own,

"You're a good soldier, you have a sixth sense. Be fearless, but not careless, you hear me?"

"That's the first thing you've taught me without shouting," she spoke quietly, "Good bye Jacob," she spoke gently, before she tiptoed up and pressed her lips gently against his own. He moved his hand to tuck her hair behind her ear, before he kissed her mouth once, before gently kissing her forehead.

"Be safe Chase," he smiled,

"I hope I see you again Corp," she nodded, before pulling away from him and walking to where Charlie was waiting for her. She placed her bags in his car before she hugged him tightly.

"He seems fond of you," he commented and she leaned back against the car seat,

"I think I'm fond of him too," she replied quietly.