A sad goodbye

For you lovely people who are still reading and enjoying this. I don't think I've ever written anything so long!! Xx

Connie hugged Chloe tightly as she met them at the local restaurant overlooking the rolling hills.

"I ran this morning," she smiled, "I'll be joining you and Jacob again soon,"

"How was rehab?" Connie asked.

"Really good... I started running and high intensity circuits... I finally feel like myself again."

Chloe had been intermittently attending inpatient stays at their local spinal cord injury centre. Her improving neurology and muscle strength meant she had started running again.

Connie hugged her friend again, "oh, I can't wait to run with you again Chlo,"

"And how are you? My second god daughter off to uni?"

"I'm okay," she smiled,

"How is she really girls?"

"A bit quiet," Evie told them, "and Simba is poorly... We all love that dog, but mums her favourite," she smiled.

"How is she Con?" Chloe asked, "she's had a good life hasn't she?"

"Hmmm," Connie uttered,

"How old is she?"

"Twelve," she smiled, "she's slow, but she's still eating and drinking and I can't bare the thought of our family without her."

When they got home and the girls were in bed, Jacob found Connie sat on the floor with Simba laying with her head on her lap. Connie had placed a blanket over her, as her fingers ran through the dogs fur and she exhaled, "she can hardly stand Jacob," she uttered and he sat beside her on the floor.

"It might be time to say goodbye sweet heart," he told her, watching as the dog moved closer to Connie.

She nodded, "I don't think I'll ever be ready, this dog signified everything I wanted in the world."

"We can take her to the beach tomorrow, give her chips, let's all spend the day with her and then we can take her to the vets."

He called Grace and Mia, and smiled as Grace offered to pick Mia up on her way home. They arrived home late that night and hugged Connie tightly, "we're sorry mum," Grace uttered, "we know how much you love her."

They spent the next day at the beach. After a while in the sea, Simba cuddled up to Connie who covered her with a blanket.

The girls laughed as they watched Jacob feeding Simba chips as her tail wagged happily. "Can we give her some crisps mum? She loves hula hoops." They watched the girls jog over to the local shop, before Connie rested her head into his chest. Jacob placed his arm around Connie as she leaned against him, his hand on Simbas head, "I'll look after them for you girl," he told her gently.

"Simba, look what we found," Grace smiled, "I love watching her eat hula hoops," Mia laughed as they watched her crunching them, before they handed Maisie the rest.

Jacob lifted her firmly, laying her in the car boot, her tail wagged and Connie kissed her forehead, "your still beautiful," she smiled, "we're going to miss you girl."

Connie sat in the car as the girls said goodbye to one of their most beloved friends. Jacob carried her so she lay in the back on Connie's lap and Connie inhaled, "I hate that we have to do this Jacob," she uttered and he kissed her forehead,

"I know sweet cheeks, but she's starting to struggle, and we don't want her in pain."

Connie placed a hand on the dogs head, "I love you Sim," she whispered, "you've kept us safe and ran with me for years longer than you should have done. We will all miss you my beautiful girl."

Jacob pressed a gentle kiss to the dogs head, watching how the tears rolled down his wife's cheeks as they nodded at the vet. Simba wagged her tail and Connie kissed her head gently, "don't worry we'll look after Maisie for you."

They sat outside on a bench hours later, she cuddled into his chest and sighed as his hands ran through her hair.

She looked up at him and slipped onto his lap, before she kissed him over and over again.

"Thank you," she told him, "for letting us get her and for saying she's not just a dog."

They all stood at the top of the hill overlooking Holby. Jacob held Connie's hand as they scattered Simbas ashes, the girls standing close to them.

"She was the best dog," Evie smiled, "if it wasn't for her, Maisie would be a nightmare."

"Come on princesses, let's get home and put the fire on."

The girls laughed as they looked back on photographs of when they were younger.

"You look just the same mum," Soph smiled, snuggling into Connie.

"But with less wrinkles and I didn't have to dye my  hair," Connie smiled as Jacob took a photo from the album.

"Let's get this one blown up..." Connie sat with the twins in her arms, Simba on the floor beside her, her head on her lap. Mia and Grace were cuddled into Jacob and Connie smiled,

"That was so long ago now wasn't it," she smiled, watching the girls as they all fell asleep one by one. Jacob stood up, tidying everything away, before waking them all gently. He held out his hand to Connie, who took it, before she bent down and kissed Maisie's head, "goodnight girl," she smiled.

He stroked her hair gently as their chests rose and fell simultaneously, "I love you forever," he told her gently, "whether you're happy, sad, angry... I love you... Although I much prefer the former," he whispered.

She turned so she could cuddle him closer, her leg slipping up over his.

"I love you always," she whispered, "I will love you forever."