And then there were four

He got gradually stronger over the next few weeks and when Charlie and Duffy took their girls for the day, they found they enjoyed spending the day together. She held his hand as they walked along the harbour and as she felt a sharp kick she winced.

"Sit," he told her kindly, and leading her to sit on the bench overlooking the boats.

"Here," she smiled, taking his hand and placing it on her stomach.

She was now seven months pregnant and the two of them were kicking more than ever.

"Jesus, they've got a strong kick on them," he smiled,

She rolled her eyes, "don't I know it, sometimes I wish men would carry the children..."

He ran his hand gently over her thin jumper, "you look very beautiful pregnant,"

"You always say that," she replied, leaning against him and placing her hand over his.

"I know... But I mean it,"

She rolled her eyes, "well enjoy the next few months, because this is the last time," she told him. "I'm taking every bit of contraception going,"

He laughed, before pulling her onto his lap and kissing her firmly. She wrapped her arms around his neck and nipped his bottom lip before allowing him to slip his tongue between her lips.

"Screw your brain surgery," she groaned, frustrated, "we have to wait two more weeks."

He nodded, "tell me about it."

"You know we will just start having sex again and then I'll give birth and we will have to wait all over again,"

He took her hand and squeezed it, "maybe the waiting is good for us,"

"I doubt it... I like instant gratification," she admitted, and he laughed again, "don't I know it."

"Oh come off it, you benefit just as much,"

He kissed her again, "that I do sweetcheeks... That I do."

Her labour was slow to progress and when things took longer than they should she squeezed his hand, "I can't do this Jacob," she admitted and he kissed her forehead,

"Come on sweetcheeks... You can do anything,"Connie... With your permission we need to do a caesarean..."

She nodded, "just get them out," she asked, "I'm exhausted."

He exhaled as he scrubbed up, before taking her hand at the head of her bed,

"They'll be with us soon babe," he told her and she nodded,

"The sooner the better."

The couldn't help but smile as their two daughters entering the world, their crying stopping as they both lay on Connie's chest,

"They're beautiful," he smiled and she nodded,

"We will take these two and clean them up, " the nurse smiled, "and get you to the ward."

A few hours later Connie sat up, with Grace nestled beside her and one of their daughters on her chest. Jacob sat with Mia on his lap, their other daughter asleep on his chest.

"Mummy, I love my sisters... They're like dolls," Grace smiled and Connie kissed her hair gently,

"You and Mia used to look like that," she smiled, "and now look how grown up you are."

Jacob placed a sleeping Mia on the sofa beside them, before lifting Grace and placing her beside her sister. He smiled as he placed their twin daughters in cots beside Connie's bed. Before he slipped in beside Connie,

"Jacob," she murmured, cuddling into his chest, her head nestling against his neck and he held her tightly,

"Who else," he smiled and she opened her eyes, looking round the room at their four sleeping daughters,

"I can believe we made all four of them," she smiled and he kissed her mouth gently,

"Well that mind blowing sex had to create something good didn't it?"

She laughed against his chest, "no more though,"

"No baby... I think we've done our bit for reproduction,"

She smiled, and he kissed her again, "you're amazing, you know that?"

"I had to have a c-section," she groaned and he nodded,

"That doesn't matter,"

"My stomach will be even more scarred,"

"You're beautiful," he told her, "especially your scars,"

"You always say that," she smiled and he nodded,

"You know I only speak the truth sweetcheeks."

"What shall we call them Jacob?" She asked as she yawned, "I like the name Sophie," he told her and she nodded, "how about Sophie and Evie?" She asked and he nodded, "beautiful,"

"Four beautiful girls," she smiled, "I'm sorry I couldn't give you a boy,"

He rolled his eyes, "I don't mind... Five girls to love and protect... I feel like I'm dreaming."