Snowstorm (Jack and Mark) (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

When he made it to the place of incidence, he looked around. Ambulances and people were all around, and there were some witnesses talking to the police. Mark kept his head down and walked closer. "It was huge," a woman was saying through tears. "It hit those buildings like they were nothing! It ran away before the police came though." The policeman nodded.

"Can you describe it for me, ma'am?" She nodded.

"I-it looked like a man, but-but he was really big." Mark's eyes widened. Jack. It had to be. Did he lie? Does he actually live here and not the mountains? Mark shook his head and walked away. No, he wouldn't do that. Maybe it's another giant. Mark stopped at the caution tape and studied the broken street. There were large footprints that covered the broken rock, and he noticed that they led away from the city.

"Hmm..." He turned and followed the prints. They led through some blocks, and then into a reserved forest. Mark looked back at the devastated building, and then he turned and walked into the forest. There weren't very many animals chirping in the woods. Branches were broken off in a wide, visible path, and the dirt was overturned from the giant footprints. Mark squinted and skirted the path as the rain got heavier. Soon, it was pouring a record high, and Mark could barely see into the deep forest.

Mark sighed and stopped. I should go home. It's getting late, and I don't need Amy to worry. He turned to start walking back when a branch suddenly snapped behind him. He quickly turned. There was nothing there. Mark bit his lip and ventured a step.

"Hello?" He called. Something growled in the bushes. Mark narrowed his eyes, straining to see, and then they widened. He took a step back as a figure rose out of the shadows and emerged. Water dripped all over it; its eyes glowed in the rain, and its teeth bared threateningly. Mark backed away. It was a giant- but it wasn't Jack.

As soon as the giant growled, Mark turned and ran. It roared and thundered after him, and his heart thrashed in his breast. Definitely not Jack! He fled through the trees, hoping to throw the giant off his ass. Did it work? He stopped and listened. He could hear the giant growling in the distance, but he realized something else: He didn't know where he was.

Shit! Mark tried to find the path again, but he tripped over a tree root and fell, hitting his head. "Ow!" As he got up, holding his head in his hand, he heard something rumble right behind him. He froze and held his breath, then he slowly looked up- and his eyes grew very wide.

"J-Jack?" The Irish giant's eyes were narrow, and his lips were peeled back in wary aggression. But as he soon as he saw Mark, his countenance dropped, and his eyes widened.

"Mark?" The trees behind him suddenly came crashing down. Mark yelped and ducked on the ground as Jack turned around. It was the giant chasing Mark. It panted and glared at the two acquaintances with narrow, burning eyes, and as soon as it saw Jack standing between it and its prey, it snarled. Mark quivered and looked at the giant, but then his vision was blocked by Jack's leg.

"Get away from him." Jack's eyes seemed to burn brighter as he glared at the beast. The feral roared challengingly, and Jack's lips pulled back in a soundless snarl. He too roared, and then the mindless giant charged. Mark shrieked and ran out of the way as Jack was slammed to the ground, and the giant's glowing eyes settled on him. Mark screamed as the giant reached out to grab him, but Jack pushed its arm away and elbowed its stomach. It choked and backed away, giving Jack a chance to get up and crouch in front of Mark.

Jack roared again in their language, something Mark couldn't understand, but he didn't like the sudden look of rage on the feral's face. It bellowed and charged again, tackling Jack like a cat. Jack grunted as he flipped on his side and threw the other colossal away, his back inches away from Mark. Mark was breathing heavily, but he wasn't even the one fighting. Jack got up on his hands and knees, towering over Mark as he glared at the beast. Mark shook rain water out of his hair and watched as the other giant got up and hissed at his big buddy.