Chapter Thirty One

Start from the beginning

I got out, toweled off and dress into my cosy pajamas. I decided on long pants and a hoody. I threw on my fluffy, blue socks, to keep my toes snug. Alas, I couldn't wait any longer and I trudged back to my phone. With a huff, I collapsed. 

I had a new message.

I gulped, opening it with closed eyes. I took in a deep breath before opening them.

Penny. '

-------------------------------------

"Are you okay?" Mel asked as I jammed my long pants on. My phone was being held in between my shoulder and ear. Last time I did this, I'd somehow switched my language to Italian. It had taken me forever to fix it.

"Yeah. I'm still pretty cut though. I thought she was my friend."

"Friend?"

"Well. Close enough."

"Mm."

After successfully getting my pants on, I slipped my socks back on instantly. I placed the phone down, enabling loud speaker. I ran my fingers through my hair, turning the straightener on. I began applying my make up, continuous sighs escaping from my lips.

I'd already apologised for being so rude yesterday, but she had just waved it off dissmissively. I was thankful for that. Like I could cope with having a fight with her right now. I think I'd go insane. Literally.

"Are you okay going to school?" she asked in concern.

"Yeah, I'll be fine."

"How's the arm?"

"Not bad. I can get my cast off soon." I said in relief.

"That's good."

Silence lapsed as I began slowly putting my mascara on. No matter how hard I tried, it never turned out as good as when Mel did it. I sighed, placing it back down, giving up.

Why did I bother anyway?

"How are you getting to school?"

"Luke is taking me."

"Okay good. Well, I have to go. I'll talk to you tonight."

"Okay, love ya."

"Love you too."

The line went dead and I locked my phone. I slowly straightened my hair, in deep thought. So deep, that I realised I'd been sitting at my mirror, for twenty one minutes.

"Hurry up." Luke grumbled, coming into my room, his shoulders slumped and his hands dug deep into his pockets. "I have a life."

"Do you?" I asked, turning around, a blank expression on my face.

"You can walk if you want." he shrugged nonchalantly.

"Kidding." I rolled my eyes. He never could take any teasing. "I'm ready anyway."

I slung my bag on my shoulder and followed him to the car. I kissed Dad on the cheek, as he was just getting in his car too. He was still on his big job. He was getting paid heaps for it, so that was great. It was a massive job though. He came home practically asleep on his feet.

Guess who was going to be attempting to make dinner for the next few weeks?

I waved a hand over my shoulder at Luke and strode into school, locating my table. A back was turned to me, but I could see her crazy curls. I took in a deep breath, before shrugging my bag off and sitting down. Her eyes swiveled to mine. She'd been on her phone.