Chapter 32 ~ Relapse

Matilda's POV

"You are kidding, right?" I asked terrified.

"No Matilda, I'm not. He died. They called us this morning."  David said crying. His dad had died last night. "And the worst thing is that his new family refuses to bring the body here in California."

"Where are you now?"

His cries were becoming more and more loud. With a last scream, I heard a loud noise and then he hanged up on me, without answering. I panicked. 

I took my jacket and ran down the street, aiming to go to David's house. I didn't even bother telling my parents, Jake or Kate about this. As soon as I reached his house, I walked through the yard and approached the front door. Nobody seemed to notice my desperate knocks on the door. 

"David, David." I shouted, but no one answered. "Mrs Johnson. Is anybody home?"

I took my mobile out of my pocket and called David. I was waiting anxiously for him to answer, tapping my foot on the doormat, but he didn't. 

This can't be good.

I couldn't leave without talking to him. So I walked around his house to find at least one sign that somebody was there. And that was it. As I rose my head and looked up, I saw that his bedroom's lights were on.

He is there!

"David, open the door, please." I screamed at his window, as I walked closer.

"Matilda, what are you doing here?" His mother appeared from behind, wearing a black dress and black, large glasses.

"I was knocking on the door, but no one opened. I'm sorry about your ex-husband Mrs.Johnson." I said and she nodded her head sympathetically. "So, if you are here, then David is in there all alone?" I asked , as realisation hit me. He shouldn't stay alone at his condition. 

"Yes, I had to drive a long way to go to the funeral, but he refused to come. He said he wanted to stay here. Why are you asking?" She said, taking her glasses off and headed towards the door. "Come inside."

As soon as we walked in, I ran up the stairs to his bedroom. The door was almost open and the lights were on, indeed. 

"David!" I cried loudly and ran to his body, which was lying on the floor, near his bed and his left arm was all covered in blood. "Why did you do this? Why?" I screamed over and over again.

I hugged him tight and shook him, so that maybe he would open his eyes. But he was completely unconscious. Everywhere there were glasses of a broken glass, with which he had probably cut himself. He was shirtless, and he was only wearing black sweatpants, which were now all bloody.

His mother's steps could be heard  as she walked up the stairs quickly. "What happened?" She asked and walked in with force, to find David and me on the floor. She ran towards her son and sat next to him. His eyes were shut and his face had become pale. When she realised that he was still breathing, she grabbed the sheet from the bed and tighted it around his arm to stop the bleeding.

When the shock was over, pain settled in. I bit my quivering lip and forced the tears back. I took my mobile phone with shaking hands and called an ambulance.

***

"He has lost a lot of blood, but he is in a steady condition." The doctor informed his mother. I was always by her side, hugging her and telling her that everything was going to be alright.

We weren't allowed to enter the room, where he was. So we stayed all day outside, at the long corridor. Doctors and nurses kept passing by; yet it was like the time had stopped. My heart fell.