Chapter 31 ~ Bad Things Come In Threes

Matilda's POV

I woke up at the beeping of the alarm clock and the first thought that came to my mind was Jake and what happened at Ronald's party. My mum almost broke into my room, with a huge smile on her face and tried to wake me up.

"Good morning honey, how was the party? Why didn't you remove the make up from your face? You seem like a racoon in the woods." She pointed out and came closer to me.

"Oh, thanks mum. Good morning to you too." I said sarcastically, back to her comment. She was really annoying that time.

"Wake up. You'll be late for school!"

Jake drank yesterday and my mother is drunk today?

"Mum! Today is Saturday!" I said loudly and annoyed.

"Yes, but you told me you have that rehearsal for the school's choir. Remember?"

I had totally forgotten about that. Today was the rehearsal and everyone should go to school to attend the choir. How were I supposed to go there? I wanted to stay in bed and sleep for the rest of my teenage years.

"Come on. Get ready and come for breakfast."

"I'm not hungry mum." I told her and she gave me a warning look.

"Matilda, you know you shouldn't skip breakfast because..."

"...it's the most important meal of the day." I finished the sentence, grinning.

"Exactly. And it gives us energy for the whole day. So hurry up, because Jake will come in a few minutes."

"No, I'm not going with Jake to school today." I said to her and hoped that she wouldn't ask me why.

"Why?"

Alright...

"He said he had something to do, so he won't make it."

"But he'll bring you home after school, right?"

"Maybe." I said and quickly left the room to avoid her continuous questions.

I wasn't in the mood of explaining to my parents about what happened. I wasn't sure of their reaction and I didn't want this to affect their relationship with the Bresley's.

I walked in the bathroom, and looked myself in the mirror. And yeah, my mother was right. I looked like a racoon indeed. The mascara and the eye pencil were all around my eyes and my hair had become messy and curly.

I quickly cleaned up, got dressed and walked down the stairs to find my dad eating breakfast and my mum preparing some toasted slides of bread.

"Good morning dad."

"Good morning Mati. How was the party yesterday?"

Is this happening on purpose?

"It was nice...Sorry I need to go now. They will be waiting for me at school. Bye." I said and gave both of them a kiss.

I didn't want them to have the time to ask me more about that party, because in the end they would find out and they would be upset.

"I really liked our long and meaningful conversation, daughter. Bye." He said ironically and I gave him an innocent, girlie smile, and left through the frontdoor.

Across the street, there was Jake in his car, waiting for me. I didn't pay any attention to him and continued to walk down the road dismissively. He called my name a few times but I didn't bother to turn around. And then I heared the engine of the car turning on, and he drove next to the pavement, where I was.