Chapter 14 ~ First Day At School

Matilda's POV                                                                                        

'The first day to my new school today!' I thought to myself when I woke up in the morning. I can't say I was excited or sad, I had mixed feelings about that day. I felt nervous and eager to go there and meet new people.                                              

My choice of clothing was a pair of black jeans and a plain white shirt. I also put on a black-star necklace, my skull rings, a couple of bracelets. and my black converse.  I took my bag, putting there some of the things I got from the mall the other day.                                            

"Honey, come here. Let me give you a hug." my mum shouted when she saw me going down the stairs.       

"Mum, please stop, you're embarassing me.."                             

"Why do you say that Matilda? I feel so happy about you. Have a wonderful today, and don't let anyone hurt you."                                                                               

"Thanks mum." I said nagging.                                                                                

"Always keep your head up young girl" My dad advised me, cocking an eyebrow to me.                                  

"How are you going to school?" My mom asked me and then it was when I realised that I had no way to go to school.                                     

"That's out of question! Of course Jake is going to drive her, and then they will come together after school." Mrs Bresley said and Jake shrugged inserting a huge piece of french fresh-baked croissant in his mouth and then drinking what was left of his coffee.                 

The whole driving thing went out piecefully. This school was so cool! Huge, with a beautiful yard, full of trees, benches and flowers. And also full of students.

These people must be really rich.                                                                                                           

"Do you want me to show you around school and head you to your classroom?" Jake said but all my attention was on David and Kate who were standing on the pavement looking towards us.                                                                                      

"No, it's okay, thanks." I said and faked a smile as he would always do to me. I turned my back and headed to them.                                                      

The central part of the school, where the lockers are, was full of tall guys, with colourful shirts, and chicks with cropped T-shirts and shorts. This was enough for me so as to feel out of water. They just seemed to be interested in their appearance more than their personality. They looked like sharks wanting to bite every inch of me.  

As we were entering our classroom, I saw Jake talking to his friends.        

"He is not going to be with us." Kate pointed out showing that she knew whom I was looking at.

She chose a double desk for me and her, and David sat on the desk near ours with another classmate I haven't met. 

A teacher came and introduced herself, since she was new to this  school, like me. The first period passed quickly and the last thing we had to do was to take some of the new books they gave us.

I got a text from Jake: "In ten minutes, I am leaving. Be in the parking lot by then or I'll leave you here."

I didn't bother answering. When we were finally free, I took my bag, said good-bye to everyone and left.

"Matilda, wait!"I heared David's voice calling me from behind.

"Yeah?" I turned my head, wanting to make sure it was him.                       

"I hope you didn't forget your promise. When are we going for that coffee?"

Luckily, he didn't forget his proposal. I thought he would, for a moment, since he hadn't referred to it since then.

"Hmm, what about this evening?"

"Great. I'll pick you up at six. Have a good time 'till then." He told me and gave me a wink.

I made my way to Jake's car with a foolish smile on my face.

"How was your day Jake?" I was so happy that even Jake seemed nice to talk.

"Fine. What are you doing with that emo-freak? Are you two friends or something?"

"If you are talking about David, firstly he is not an emo-freak and secondly yes we are friends. Is there a problem with that?" I said back annoyed.

Sincerely, David was far away from being considered as an emo. He may have bangs going down, covering a part of his eyes or dressing mainly in dark clothes, but that doesn't mean anything. I wear dark clothes too, and love skulls,and so? They sometimes call me emo or punk but I hate being called names. I am who I am. And David is David.