Chapter 22 ~ Confession #2

Matilda's POV

The following days passed quietly and I was filled with hope and optimism. Some things had been set. I mean David. We decided to stay friends as long as we could. As I thought more about it, I could see that it was the best choice.

He kept on writing poems to me and this was how I could see through his soul, I could see the cute side of him. He would write poems of mermaids and butterflies referring to me.

So yesterday, I decided to write one to him, giving him the courage to go on.

Dry your eyes, please don't cry.
Everything is gonna be alright.
There is no need to cut your skin.
Not anymore, not ever again.
Heaven is not calling for an angel.
God is not looking for a friend.

Dry your eyes, please don't cry.
Everything is gonna be alright.
The pain you feel is gonna end.
It's time to feel happiness again.

When he read it, he called me crying and said that he liked it so much. This was enough for me to form a smile and feel proud of myself.

***

The next day changed what I had been thinking of Jake since I met him.

I was waiting for Jake to come downstairs, so as to leave for school but he wouldn't come. So I went to his room and I found him looking for something.

"What are you looking for? We're gonna be late." I said but he didn't bother turning his head to face me.

"Don't worry. Go downstairs and I'll be there in a minute."

"What are you searching for? Maybe I can help you find it."

"It's a blue folder I need for today. There is my assignment in it." he said while looking in a big box.

"Your room is so untidy. How could you be able to find anything in here?"
"Why don't you go downstairs and leave me alone to search for it?" he said with anger.

I didn't answer, but started looking around for the folder. I searched on his desk and then began to open his drawers one by one. As I opened the third one, I found a picture of the girl that I had seen in the picture in my room the other day. I grabbed it and I looked at the back where it was written: Claire Bresley 03.08.09

"Here it is! It was under the bed for God's shake!" Jake exclaimed but I didn't pay much attention to his words.

"Jake?" I could barely say a word.

"Hey, what are you doing with that photo? Put it down now!" He demanded but I didn't care.

"Who is she? Why don't you ever give me an answer? I asked you the other day, but you reacted in the same way." I said back in high pitch.

"She is nobody. Let's go."

"Who is she? Your sister? You didn't tell me you have a sister."

"Why do you even want to know?"

"Because I care. I saw how you got angry the other day, when I asked you about this girl. I don't like to see you like this."

"Are you sure you want to know?" he said almost murmering.

"Yes." I responded quickly but in a low voice.

"Come with me." He said and grabbed me by my hand.

Before reaching the place we were aiming to, he stopped by a store with flowers and bought a beautiful bouquet of white and light pink tulips. After some minutes of driving, he brought the car on a steep path with rocks and many trees around.

When I looked out if the window, it was when I realised that he had driven me to a graveyard. Yes, to a graveyard.

He headed me to a large grave made of white marble and full of bouquets on it. Her photo was in the middle and under it, it was written with gold caligraphic letters: Claire Bresley 07.09.2000 - 28.03.2010
God bless our lovely daughter & sister who is now an angel.

I knew then for sure that this girl was his sister. That was why he wouldn't talk to me about her. I felt so guilty for forcing him to talk and reminding him all this pain. The only question that was on my mind that time was:

Why? Why to this family? Why to him? Why?

"We had made a pact with my parents not to mention it to anyone. That would be the only way to forget about it. Now you know who is Claire. I mean who she was." He stated, placing the bouquet on the white marble.

"I'm so sorry." Tears were almost running down my eyes.

"It's okey." he was obviously trying to ease the tension. "She was my everything. But God needed her more. Cancer took her away from me."

After his words, I was crying officially.

We went to the car and stayed there, without Jake turning the engine on.

"You know...when I first met you I thought you were her. I thought she came back to our house. You are so like her. You would always remind me of her. Your sweetness, your kindness, your timidness, your innocence... You are like a young unprotected girl." he admitted.

"But why have you been such a pain in the neck to me all this time?" Words were now popping out of my mouth against my will. I shouldn't talk to him that way, while he was in that bad condition.

"Because every time I saw you, you brought her memory on my mind. And I really felt the need to protect you."

"Okey, now I tell you, you don't have to protect me. I'm seventeen, I can take care of myself. Anyway, in some days we'll be leaving from your house. You won't get to see me everyday, so you'll get better."

"I don't want you to leave." He admitted to my surprise.

"What did you say?" I asked because I wanted to hear it once again.

"Hmm, nothing." He said and drove to school.

Author's Note: Poor Jake:( Claire was his sister that had passed away.

We all hope that one day, cancer we'll be just a zodiac sign.

God bless everyone who died from cancer. Rest In Peace.