twenty six : regrets

Start from the beginning

"How can I forget," I muttered under my breath. "Anyway, I need you to use your brilliant acting skill."

"For?"

"For the greater good, of course." I tried not to smile. "Will you do it?"

"Depends," answered Faith with a shrug. "How much are you willing to pay?"

I rolled my eyes. "I need you to implicitly tell Colton about what happened today."

Her face grew serious. "What? Why?"

"His girlfriend is Autumn's friend and—"

Faith quickly finished my line, "—and you want her to comfort Autumn." She let out a sigh of relief. "I know there's still good in you," she added while nodding like a proud mama. I was so sure if she'd been taller than me, she would've patted my head.

Just when she was about to depart, I gave her a smile and said, "Thanks for helping me."

She replied to me with a grin. "What are friends for."

* * * * * * *

"Will these be all?" asked Mario as he looked into the trunk of his car where three bags of my belongings were. After I'd parted ways with Faith, I'd called Mario for help. He'd agreed to let me crash at his place for a few days until I found other places to stay.

I gave him a nod and he shut the door. My mind kept replaying what had happened yesterday as I walked to the side of the car and accidentally bumped into a man with a black hoodie. "I'm sorry," I immediately muttered my apologies.

Within a few minutes, we were already on our way to his apartment on the other side of the city. It wasn't my first time being in a car with him so I didn't feel awkward by the quietness and lack of conversation. To be honest, I was glad that he didn't ask anything or try to make a conversation.

By the time I'd gotten to the apartment, Autumn was still outside so I'd quickly packed my bags and left a note.

I'm moving to Faith's. I'll pick up the rest of my stuff when I got time.

It would've been sufficed but since I'd been jealous of her relationship with Frazier, I added a few more lines.

Look after my belongings. I trust you not to lend any of them to your new boyfriend. I don't like sharing.

I felt something pressing against my ribs and pulled out the frame I'd taken from the apartment. It was a photo of us at the prom back in Carlton High. I'd been forced to wear a pink tie to match her dress. It'd been the most embarrassing thing I've ever done in my life but it was worth it. Her smile, the happiness in her eyes, and the sound of her laughter made it all worth it. I let out a deep sigh, starting to regret my decision of moving out.

"Your girlfriend?" asked Mario from behind the wheels. He glanced at the photo for a brief second and commented, "pretty."

I nodded. "She's beautiful."

"All the girls are pretty until they become troublesome." It sounded like he'd experienced it first hand and perhaps he had.

Even though what he'd said could be true, I couldn't agree with that, especially not when it was about Autumn. "She's never a trouble."

There was an awkward moment of silence before Mario opened his mouth again. "You really love her, huh?"

I knew I shouldn't say it to him, knowing he was part of the organization and I wouldn't know if he reported this to the organization or not, yet at the same time, I felt that he was probably the only person who'd understand my situation. "I do."

I carried one bag in each hand while Mario carried one and slung it over his shoulder. Once he unlocked the door, he kicked the door open as he let me walk past him. I dropped the bags on the couch since I had a feeling this apartment only had one bed so I would most likely sleep on the couch.

"Seriously, man, thank you for letting me crash here," I thanked him again.

"Ty." He stood by a wooden table and motioned me to come. "Here's the spare key." Mario handed me a set of keys and I shoved them into the pocket of my jeans.

"Thanks, man."

Mario nodded. "One more thing though."

I lifted one brow. "Yeah?" When he didn't immediately answer, I added, "what is it?"

"This." He pulled his right arm and landed a punch squarely on my jaw, causing me to stumble back and drop my ass on the floor.

I blinked in surprise. "What's that for?"

Mario looked down at me as he took three long breaths through his nose. He looked every bit angry and I had no idea what his problem was. "Why the fuck did you drag Faith into this?"

I winced. I should've known better, Mario wouldn't be pleased with the plan. Yet it wouldn't be convincing to ask a random girl to help me especially not when Colton and Jess knew what Faith really looked like. And I would bet my life that Jess had told Autumn about it in great detail. They were best friends after all.

"I've told you not to drag her into this mess. I've told you she's safer that way. Didn't you listen to a word I said yesterday?" Mario demanded, his voice rising dangerously. "Do you have any idea how hard it was for me to let her go?" He sounded like a broken-hearted man as he went.

"Then maybe you shouldn't have let her go," said a voice from the front door. We both whipped our heads and immediately sucked in our breaths as our eyes stared in disbelief. 

* * * * * * *