Ignorance

Nathanael looked himself over in the mirror it his new costume. A red spiked collar plus the necklace, a tight bright red suit, fox ears and a tail.

"I'm a Miraculous user?"

He asked himself wondering if he could impress Marinette by being a superhero. He set out to find her. They were partners for a class project but that wasn't enough for him.

"Marinette?"

The new hero asked.  As she was in her room already sketching designs for the project.

"ChatNoir, go away I'm busy."

She said assuming that ChatNoir was in her room and not a stranger.

"Marinette.."

She finally looked at him. He wasn't ChatNoir. He was someone else.

"Who... who are you?"

She asked hoping that he wasn't a villain that found out she was Ladybug. Her ignorance was present in her voice.

"I haven't really thought about what I want to call myself. I just knew I had to see you."

"That's flattering and all but why me?"

"Your smart, confident, and look extremely good in pink."

Marinette was blushing she couldn't hide it. She wasn't fond of all the attention she was getting from boys. This boy was different. His feelings were obvious but did her physically touch her like everyone else no. He stood a comfortable distance away. He didn't want to scare her off.

"Are you like Ladybug and ChatNoir?"

Marinette asked playing dumb.

"Yes, but I've never actually meant them. In the costume I mean."

Nathanael realized how confident the suit gave him. He wasn't stuttering or mumbling like he usually did when he was around her.

"FireFox."

"FireFox?"

"That's what you should call yourself."

Marinette didn't think he would actually use such a odd name but he looked at her as if he was a kid who got candy for the first time.

"FireFox, I like it."

He said giving her a warm and loving smile.

"So, FireFox now you have a name what's you next step?"

Marinette curiously asked. 'Did he think through what being a superhero involves... or is he just a thrill seeker?' Marinette thought.

"To protect you from all Akumas."

"That's sweet...."

Marinette thought for a moment trying to come up with something to say. 'If he's watching my back twenty four seven then how am I supposed to turn into Ladybug?'

"But I'm under Ladybug's personal protection."

"She can't always be there for you when she's out galavanting off with ChatNoir, now can she."

"What if I'm for sure, that I'll never be akumatized?"

Marinette can't be akumatized since she wore a Miraculous. Miraculouses protect their wielders.

"Do you have a Miraculous?"

That question startled Marinette.

"Uh.... Ummm... no."

"Then, Marinette Dupain-Cheng I FireFox vow to protect for the rest of my life."

"You don't have to."

Marinette didn't want him to waste time protecting her when she could protect herself. She wasn't a damsel in distress, she was actually a knight in red with black polka dotted spandex.

"I want to."

He sounded so sincere.

"You really care about me don't you?"

"Very much so."

"Trust me, okay."

She said trying to narrow down who he was. She was also curious if he had powers similar to the orange fox Miraculous.

"Marinette if anything bad happened to you, I don't know what I'd do. That's why I have to protect you."

Marinette blushed not sure what to say. FireFox was the first boy to seriously confess his feelings towards her.

"Can you promise me if it came down to me or Paris you'd choose Paris?"

"No... I couldn't... yes I'm selfish.... and you would probably hate me but I would choose you. I won't have one regret either."

Marinette was astonished by his words. It was obvious to her that he loved her.