)(3)(

Above: Katherine McNamara as Clary(Clarissa) Fray/Fairchild/Morgenstern

Recap:   "I-I don't have parents. They're dead." "Who raised you then," asks Isabelle. Maryse shakes her head, but I sigh. "No Maryse, they deserve to know. Everyone deserves to. The one who raised me was.. was.."

"Valentine."

====

Clary

"VALENTINE," we all exclaim. She shrinks in her chair, her hands between her thighs and biting her lip nervously. She looked so little, so.. vulnerable.

Maryse chokes on her coffee and Robert slaps her back. Mrs Lightwood looks up and stares angrily at Dominique. "Calm down Maryse, it was maybe not that right of her, but she is young.."

"Young and naive, Robert! You," she points at Dominique, who jumps up by the anger of Maryse," go to your room. I will inform the Clave of this, young lady." "Don't, Maryse. It was one slip, it won't happen again."

I look at Dominique, who has her head down and I see something shimmering on her cheekbones. That's when I realise it were tears. 

"Maryse, please, you hurt her feelings," I say, standing up and walking over to her. I lay my hand on her shoulder and she looks up. "It isn't that bad that you told us. So.. Valentine hmm?" 

She nods. "Did he hurt you," I whisper softly to her due to emotions. "Not really. Of course, he was harsh in his raising but.. he loved me. I loved him like the father I never had. And of course my brother.." 

"B-brother? W-w-who," I ask, fearing her answer. "Jonathan. When Valentine wasn't home, Jonathan had to take care of me. He acted weird sometimes though.. I wonder why."

She doesn't know.. she really doesn't know! I get the naive part Maryse was talking about now, although I do not call it naivety, but nescience. 

"DOMINIQUE, UPSTAIRS, NOW," yells Maryse, jumping up out of the chair. Her black hair, normally tightly in a neat ponytail, jumps out of it now and her head is fuming red with anger. Dominique jumps up from her chair and runs out of the kitchen.

"What was that for," asks Isabelle. "She isn't supposed to tell these things. If she knew anything, she should report it to the Clave. That is the deal," she states with rage.

"SHE IS SCARED, DON'T YOU SEE THAT," I yell at her. Jace had walked up on me and places a hand on my shoulder now. I shake it off.

"No, Jace! She is scared of the Clave and scared of you. Scared of everything! Didn't you see her expression when she talked about Valentine? As if she worships him! And why? Because he was like a father to her. And apparently, Jonathan was like a brother to her!"

I feel anger boiling up. Why did only I understand how she must feel, cornered everywhere with how bad her family had been although she couldn't help it at all. Jace grabs my arm. "Come on Clary, we search for Dominique."

We leave the kitchen and while we walk up the stairs, the door opens. Isabelle, Simon, Magnus and Alec walk outside as well, following us. "What are you doing here," I ask them. "Talking with Dominique, of course," exclaims Simon.

We first went to her bedroom, but she wasn't there. Weird, because she was told to go to her room and she seems like the type of girl who follows the rules. We went on and later find her in the library.

She sits curled up in a big, brown chair. Her cheek rests against her fist and she flips the pages of an old book. Magnus frowns his eyebrows. "What's wrong," asks Alec, probably knowing Magnus better then anyone else.

"It is the old varient of Greek. Only warlocks these days read that. A warlock must have trained her.."

"Maybe you can ask her later. Now, I am really curious about what she has to say about Jonathan," I say to him.