KABANATA XXXIII

KABANATA XXXIII: His Dark Past

 KEN'S POV

Just like any kid, my dad has always been my idol.

I've always admired his dedication and love for my mother. In the 30 years of their marriage, I've never seen him eye my mother differently. Laging may pagmamahal at paghanga sa mga mata niya. He's looking at her like my mom is the most beautiful woman in the world and he's one hell of a lucky man to bag her.  

Ang sabi niya sa akin noon, 'Your mother is my life and my everything. And if I were to choose I would rather die than lose your mom.'

I was really glad to have such kind of parents who love each other like the world would stop spinning when they lose each other.

Lagi kaming magkasama ni Dad. From basketball to gym and even in doing my field work siya ang kasama ko. I would say I love my mom but my dad is the man I won't live without. Ganun kami kalapit sa isa't-isa.

I took architecture because of him. He's a renowned architect and I want to follow his footsteps. Inherit his firm and prove him I am his son and he have something to be proud of his only son.  

Masayang masaya ang pamilya namin. I have a perfect life ika nga nila. I have good grades and I'm on my way of graduating with latin honors. My parents love each other. I have my sister who I equally adore just like my mom. Everything is in place, everything is nothing but perfect.

Yun ang akala ko.

I sighed. "I was about to finish college that time. I met a girl named Fiona. Secretary siya ni Dad and way older than me. She's in her late twenties and I'm turning 20." Hinawakan ko ang kamay ni Mandy na masinsin lang na nakikinig sakin.

We were both lying on the grass with her resting in my arms. I'm thinking if I should continue the story or not. I might hurt her.

"Go on, Ken. I'll be open-minded." Sabi niya sakin. Sumiksik siya sa dibdib ko. Hindi ko alam kung okay lang ba talaga na malaman niya ang darkest secret ng pamilya namin. But nonetheless, I love her and I want her to know how I am feeling right now.

"Si Fiona, ang unang babae na minahal ko." I said in a very pained voice. She's my first in everything. First kiss. First love. First in every possible way. Even my first love making. Everything was about her that time.

I courted her, with of course the help of my dad. Noong una ay hindi siya sang-ayon because I'm on my way of making it to the top and he doesn't want any distraction for me.

"But I fought for her and I succeeded on convincing him. Fiona and I became official. My mom is delighted by the fact that I have other things to spend my time. Hindi yung puro libro at pag-aaral lang."

My mom believes that I should enjoy life and not bury myself in the depths of my academics. Dapat daw ibalance ko ang buhay ko. He doesn't want me to be a geek and I don't want it that way as well.

Ipinagpatuloy namin ni Fiona ang relasyon namin na walang problema. We seldom fight and we get along in almost everything. Maybe it's her maturity and my lack of experience that offset each other's flaws. We have a little bit of everything.

Maayos na sana ang lahat pero isang araw, while on my way to his office I saw something that I should not see. Something that I should not hear.

"I saw how my father fvcked my girlfriend. Kitang-kita ng dalawang mata ko at dinig na dinig ng  mga tenga ko how they scream for each other's name." I said in a low hoarse voice. I heard Mandy gasps. Alam kong nakakabigla ang sinabi ko and I never intended to shock her this much. Hindi ko na lang talaga kayang itago pa.