Chapter 78

After Zayn got the twins settled at home with his mum, he took a shower and crawled into bed. It had been an incredibly long and emotional day. He lay in bed and glanced at where Kaia was supposed to be and he couldn't sleep. He got redressed and left his mum a note on the kitchen counter and headed back to the hospital. When he got there, the nurse at the nurse's station gave him a stern look.

"Mr. Malik, it's not time for visiting," she scolded him.

He gave her a sly grin. "I know, I'm sorry," he said. "I couldn't sleep at home. I promise I'll be quiet."

The nurse just shook her head at him and waved him along.

He slowly opened the door to Kaia's room and saw her sleeping in her bed. A low light above her bed was on, casting a glow over her sleeping form. He quietly shut the door behind him and just looked at her. He couldn't help but smile and he smiled even bigger when he saw her open her eyes and smile at him.

"Couldn't sleep?" She asked.

"No," he said softly and moved closer to her.

Kaia lifted the covers for him as he kicked off his shoes and crawled in behind her, pulling her close to him, but holding her gently. He was happy to see that she only now had a saline IV hooked up to her opposite arm, so he was able to hold her against him. He let out a slow sigh. "This is so much better," he whispered against her neck.

"I agree," she said, intertwining her fingers with his. "I don't like being alone."

"I know," he said. "How are you feeling?" He asked as he traced her hand with his fingers.

"Better, now that you're here."

"Baby, I've been doing a lot of thinking tonight." He said softly as he held her close to him.

"About?"

"You," he said. "The doctor told me what happened. That you demanded to keep your insides because you needed to have one more."

She turned so that she was facing him. "I do," she said. "I promised Marian I would be her surrogate. I owe her."

He shook his head. "No, sweetheart," he said and brushed some hair away from her face. "She understands and I ...I can't let you put your life at risk again."

"But...I owe her everything, Zayn," she said. "If she hadn't pushed me and if we hadn't gone, then I wouldn't have you," she said as her eyes welled with tears. "I wouldn't have our three beautiful children."

"And if you do, you put your life at risk and I'm not losing you, Kaia. I can't lose you. I wouldn't be able to live without you, why can't you see that?"

"But what is she going to do?" She asked. "She wants another child and if I can help her, why can't I?'

"Because I'm not willing for you to take that chance with your life," he said. "Do you have any idea how deep my love for you is?" He asked her. "When I found out about your affair with Liam...." he said and then wiped away his own tears. "I couldn't walk away from you. I couldn't and I won't ever let you go. You are my everything and I would be nothing without you." He took her face in his hands.

"Zayn...I..." she stammered as tears fell from her eyes.

"You are my life, my everything," he said and let her tears fall on his thumbs. "You are my heart and you are my soul, Kaia."

"But..."

"Baby, please," he begged her. "I need you to put this idea out of your mind and I need you to focus on us. On our family. On our love," he lowered his face to hers and kissed her deeply. His tears mixed with hers. "You are my infinity, Kaia," he whispered.  "My life."