Chapter 48

Kaia finished their dinner dishes and went to find Zayn. She found him in the nursery with the twins. She sat down on the floor by them.

"Did they make it to Montana alright?" She asked.

"Yes," he said. "Harry texted me to let me know they got there safe and sound."

She smiled at him. "I'm glad," she said. "I hope they're able to find their way back to each other."

He watched as she played with the twins. "So, um, I....." he began. "I got a text from Louis."

Her head snapped up and her eyes widened. "What? Wait?" She asked. "When? Where is he?"

He hated stretching the truth to her, but he couldn't think of any other way to get her to the plane. Louis had texted him, but nothing more. "He...he just texted that he was fine and that we shouldn't worry about him."

"Where is he?" She asked. As angry as she was at him, she wanted him to be alright. She wanted him to be safe. "Is...is he alright?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "I'm not really sure. He didn't really say."

"When did you hear from him?" She asked, standing up and started to get Ahmir into his pajamas.

He stood up and started to get Destiny ready for bed. "Two weeks ago."

"Does Marian know?" She asked as she tickled her son and listened to his giggles.

He shook his head. "No, I didn't want her to get her hopes up and relapse so to speak."

"I think that was a smart thing to do." She sighed heavily and looked at him. "I still can't believe he just left her," she said trying not to get angry. "She needed him and he just abandoned her."

"I know baby," he said as he picked his daughter back up into his arms. "Do....do you want to go looking for him?"

"I don't know," she said and kissed her son. "Is it even worth it? Where would we even look? Is it worth more heartache for her? Or Harry? What if...." she said with a shake of her head. "Maybe it's better if we just leave it alone."

They tucked their children into bed and left the nursery, heading to their own room. She changed and crawled into bed. Zayn changed into a pair of sweats and got into bed after her. "Maybe you're right," he said. He pulled her into his arms and they went to sleep.

In the morning, Zayn was awake first. He decided to let Kaia sleep and he went quietly into their large closet and packed a suitcase for the both of them and carried them to the front door. He made sure his mum and sisters were on their way and then went to wake up his sleeping wife.

"Baby," he said softly and brushed some hair out of her face. "Kaia, wake up."

She slowly opened her eyes and looked at him and gave him a smile. "What are you up to Malik?" She asked. "I heard you in the closet."

He grinned back at her. "Guilty." He leaned closer and placed a gentle kiss on her lips. "I want you to get up and take a shower and get dressed."

She glanced at the clock on the nightstand. "It is six in the morning. Why are you even awake?"

"Because my beautiful wife, we're going somewhere."

She slowly sat up and wiped the sleep from her eyes. "What do you mean we're going somewhere?"

"It's a surprise."

"I hate surprises," she said. "What about the twins? Are they coming with us?"

He winked at her. "No, just you and I," he said.

"But we don't have the time to just go running off and...."