Chapter 28- Looking for answers

"Janelle!" A man's deep voice called from behind me. I turned around and saw as Taylor made his way to the table the hostess had picked out.

"Hello Taylor." I said and he surprised me with an awkward hug. He sat down and had a grin on his face.

"I heard you went on a romantic get-away. How was it?" Taylor was always this happy, creepy, but happy.

"It was really good, thank you for asking." I said, trying to stay as polite as possible. After all, he was a victim also.

"Oh excuse me, can I have some coffee too?" He asked the waitress and turned his smile back at me. "I bet you're just dying to know all the details from that night, aren't you?"

"I wouldn't exactly use the word 'dying', but I am curious." I said and took a long sip from my warm coffee.

He chuckled and took his coffee from the waitress' hand and took a long chug. "I'm not even sure if I should tell you."

"What? Why not? I have every right to-"

"I was joking." He said and cracked a smile. 

My heart had began to race but now I could breathe.

"There was a party. It was at a huge house, the party. Lucy and I had barely gotten married because I was madly in love with her. We had Bradly before our wedding and you were there too. Babies, the both of you! Us, the adults wanted to have fun one night, so we hired a babysitter to watch you and Bradly as we took a day off of stress." He paused. "I remember Lucy was drinking, alot. She didn't have long since she had given birth to Bradly, and she was desperate for a short escape. I promised to take care of her. To just have fun. Your dad was also drinking alot. Your mother wasn't because she knew she needed to take care of you when she got back." He shook his head. "I left Lucy alone for a minute or two, getting us some more drinks, and she was gone. Your mother couldn't find your dad either." His head lowered and he looked like he was about to cry.

"I'm sorry, it's just that I hate remembering that night." He said and I felt bad. I reached over and placed my hand over his, letting him know that I didn't want to hear either but it was necessary. He understood and began again.

"Your mom and I went looking for them, we found them upstairs...." A tear fell off his face. He trully really did love her. "It was the most horrible thing I had ever seen. I remember a high pitched cry come out of your mother's mouth and she hid her face in my chest. My eyes couldn't leave my wife. As she was kissing another man that wasn't me." He wiped another tear off. "They were drunk, but when your father noticed us he pushed Lucy away and looked shocked. Your mother ran off and your father chased after her. Lucy ran to me and with disgust, I pulled her again and walked off." He paused. "The next day I found out that your mother had forgiven your dad."

Anger rose in me. "Why? Why did my mother forgive him?!"

"For you." He said and my anger calmed down a bit.

"Me?" I asked, unsure.

"Yes. Your mother and I talked after what had happened. Your mother had decided to pack all her things and take you away with her. But for her to take you away from your father, she coulnd't. So she forgave him and he swore to never to that to her ever again. Since then, your father doesn't drink."

I knew he never drank, but never really thought about it. It all made sence now.

"So, if my mother forgave my dad for me? Why couldn't you do the same?" I asked. I knew it was an edgy question, but I needed to know.

"Well, let me finish now." He said and sadly smiled. "When I saw how strong your mom was, and how she had done that for you I thought I could do it too. I forgave Lucy and stayed around and helped her raise Bradly. But it wasn't long until Lucy felt sick. I took her to the doctors, and..." He grew quiet.