Chapter 23- Arrival

The next couple of days were hard. The thought of my dad having an affair with Lucy, almost around the time my mom found out she was pregnant with me, made my heart ache. I couldn't lie and say that I wasn't also disgusted. I was disgusted with my father, and I was bothered that my mom probably knew and did nothing. That's not like her. I was so thankful to have Jessy back in my life. Without him, my family would've been torn apart that day.

I sat on the living room floor playing with John as I waited for Jessy to call me and tell me it was time. I was glad it was a three day weekend. Three days out of here, without my parents. I was going to try and forget, but I knew that was going to be really hard, especially since im going to miss them more than anything while I'm away. It's for the best though.

"Janelle, you're not driving!" John shook my leg and pointed at my little car in my hand with anger.

"Sorry kiddo!" I said and began to play again. I couldn't let John know that something was bothering me. He was a smart kid, so he knew when I was hurting.

I was happy-ish to leave to L.A. but leaving John was going to be hard. Jessy said that if I did move, I could bring John up with me as much as I could. I wish John wouldn't mind, much less my parents. Or maybe I would travel back and forth. I don't mind. As long as I still have my little brother in my life, it'll be fine.

"Hey sweetie, where's Jessy?" My mom came out of the kitchen and sat on the sofa. My heart tightened a little.

"He's coming. He texted me a few minutes ago. He told me to be ready." I said while driving my little car beside John's on the carpet.

"Be safe." She warned.

"I know." I said. I knew what she meant, and I doubt that with my mind being so jacked up, anything will happen.

"I'm not joking Janelle." My mother warned again.

I rolled my eyes. "Mom, I know better than that."

We fell silent, and the only thing in the room was John's car noises. It was awkward, well for me. Then Brianna's face popped in my mind. My sister... I shook my head and tried to forget. Where the hell was Jessy?

"My heart's a stereo, it beats for you so listen close-"

My ringtone went off and I picked it up quickly. It was Jessy. One night when we were walking along the beach, we heard that song off a car's stereo and he decided that that was going to be our song. Random. But I went home that night and downloaded it and now use it whenever he called me. He did the same.

"Hello?" I answered.

"You ready?" He asked.

"You bet." I said and he told me to go outside. I left the car on the floor and stood up.

"Where you goin'?" John's voice broke my heart and I scooped him up and he dropped his car on the floor too.

"I'm going on vacation for a while. Just three days. I'll be back soon." I said and kissed the side of his head.

"Promise?" He asked.

I didn't want to lie to him so I kissed his cheek. "I'll be back." I said and set him on the ground because if I held him any longer, I knew I was never going to be able to leave.

"Bye sweetie." My mother said and hugged the life out of me.

I sadly hugged her back. We broke off and I grabbed my bag from the sofa and made my way to the door.

"Call me when you land." My mother said as I walked to the door.

"I will! Tell dad... I said bye." I called over my shoulder.