16.) If I Ain't Got You

AUGUST
Later that night

"So she cut herself pretty good, but she did not cut on her veins. It looked as if she tried but wasn't sure where to. We managed to pump the pills from her stomach.. we're gonna have to keep her for a few days, on suicide watch."

He explained to us and I shook my head. "She's not suicidal, she's broken.. she was pimped out by her own pops and dat' shit fucked her up. Y'all doctors always wanna call somebody suicidal jus' cuz y'all don't unda'stand what dey' gotta deal wit'"

I semi snapped, yeah she tried to kill herself but that doesn't make her suicidal, she's hurting and figured that was the only option she had.

"You remind me of some black families who swear their kids aren't supposed to get depressed. Mental illness is big in black families but we got parents who be too ignorant or blind to the signs and dey swea' the kid is fine or just overreacting. No they need help and want help, but dem muhfuckers brush it off."

I pinched the bridge of my nose and sighed. "Mental illness is an major issue, even y'all doctors be tryna brush dat' shit off, especially if you ain't white shooting up a school or church!" I snapped, he looked at me shocked and I didn't give no fucks.

"Aug bro chill." Caine said reaching for me but I moved. "Nah cuz they quit to call mental illness if it's a white person who finna do life in prison. Let a black person do half da' shit they do, dey be ready to give us the death chair and everything in da damn book."

"She needs help! She needs somebody to talk to dat will actually listen and actually cares! She wasn't jus' physically abused, she's damaged mentally and emotionally, she was violated, what da fuck y'all expect her ta do or react!? She's BROKEN!"

I shouted knocking over a few chairs, I was mad as hell and ready to shoot some shit. "Sir I get that you're angry but I need you to calm down.." his scary ass said.

"August.. bro please stay cool.. we don't need dis for T right now." Nina added as she came over and hugged me.

"Trust me everything dat' you spoke is da' truth and you kno and I kno' dey hate dat.. just play it smart.. dis not like you." She went on, I hugged her back and closed my eyes for a few seconds.

"She needs us right now, stay cool." She repeated, "My bad." I apologized to her, I wasn't apologizing to that damn doctors though, he know I was right.

"She's asleep.. if you guys want you can come back tomorrow morning to check on her.. when things cool off." He added and I had to laugh.

"I needa get out of hea' before niggas lives get taken." I said clear enough for him to hear. I headed towards the elevator while Nina them stayed to get the rest of the information from his lame ass.

Who the hell pick these goofy ass so called Doctors?

"You straight Yung?" Caine asked once they met me by the car. "Always." I replied opening the door. "I ain't never seen you act like dis before.. wassup?" He questioned looking over at me after he climbed in the passenger seat.

"I'm good woe." I told him again, "If you believe that den I guess I do too." He stated and I just shook my head.

"I think you got fe-." "Nina shut yo ass up, damn always tryna play matchmaker." I snapped, I ain't mean to, but damn.

"Don't be mad at me, cuz you confused." She retorted, I wanted to reach back and choke her ass. I forgot she had a smart ass mouth like our mama.

"Keep talkin, Keep talkin and watch when I take yo ass back to dat' lonely ass dorm." I threatened, she huffed but kept her damn mouth closed.