CHAPTER 30

Katniss' P.O.V.

A heavy bang comes from downstairs and causes me to wake up entirely. I grab my bow and arrows and sneak down the stairs with my hunter's step.

I see a flash of black and launch an arrow. It wedges into the kitchen clock.

A flash of orange appears in my peripheral vision and I spin and shoot. The arrow lodges in a picture of my friends and I.

Pink speeds across the other side if the room and I release. My arrow hits the television, leaving a huge crack right in the middle.

A large amount of blue flies around behind me and I shoot an arrow at the thing's head and another at it's blue clothing.

I stalk into the kitchen where my prey is with a loaded bow. I see the edge of blue when a trident is launched at the wall besides my feet and causes me to trip. I fall right into a snare. I notice a mechanism and stop thrashing. It only tightens the more I move.

I gently remove an arrow and cut through the ropes with the arrowhead. I fall to the ground silently and start again towards the body when I'm tackled to the ground. I roll and wrestle with the attacker until I have them pinned underneath. It's only the. I realise that the intruder is Johanna.

"Jo?"

"Brainless. Could you maybe, you know, get off me?" I scramble off her an help her up. As soon as she is up I hug her tightly.

"Where are the others? Are there any others left?"

"What do you mean 'are there any others left'?"

"Yeah. What do you mean?" Finnick comes out from behind a wall followed by Annie and Marvel and Glimmer. I rush over and crush them all in a hug.

"I...I thought you were all gone." I say through silent tears.

"We're all here, Catnip." I bolt over to Gale and jumps into his arms. I hug everyone but two ate missing.

"Where's Cato and Clove?"

"Well, you sorta shot Cato and pine him to a wall with your arrows. Oh, and nice outfit." Finn states. I look down and see I am wearing tight black leggings and a sleeveless midnight blue crop top. I walk over to the blue lump and see Cato trying to remove the arrow from his collar with a slightly bleeding ear.

"Here," I reach down and pull it out for him. "You know, I was quite worried. I had a nightmare and you died proposing to me with the ring and then I wake up to see no one here. By the way, why was everyone out?"

"Katniss..." Clove comes from behind with disheveled hair and red eyes. She pulls me into a hug and whispers the worst words I could possibly hear.

"Prim and your mother and dead."

I jerk back from her embrace and stare at her like she's crazy. "That can't be possible."

"They were coming up to the house to congratulate you on your engagement to Cato. A drunk truck driver ran a red light. The driver is unharmed but your mother died at the scene and Prim died in hospital about an hour ago."

"No." I whisper. "Why didn't you wake me?"

"It was only me and Cato that went to see Prim. The others came after I told them what happened and presumed you were with us. Then some genius forgot their keys so we had to break in. What we didn't expect was you to be awake and preparing to kill us."

My mother. Gone.

My sister. Gone.

Prim was my light. My life. My reason to continue. And now, she isn't even alive anymore for me to protect.

I collapse in tears. They try to comfort me but only one person can comfort me and they can no longer talk or even look at me.