CHAPTER 21

Cato’s P.O.V.

I wake up next to Katniss and memories of last night flood into my brain like a broken dam. And she said ‘I love you, too’!

She has her head in the crook of my neck and her right hand on the top of my bare abs. I tighten my grip around this little miracle. Katniss takes in a deep breathe signalling she is waking up but she keeps her eyes closed. I am pretty sure she is sniffing me.

“Are you smelling me?” I ask her.

“Mmm…maybe.” She replies and looks at me with her beautiful grey eyes.

I lean in to kiss her but she pulls away, alarmed and shocked, and falls out of the bed.

“I-I have a boyfriend! And he’s your b-brother!” she exclaims and dashes into the bathroom.

So she doesn’t remember. Man, this is going to be harder than I thought.

Katniss’ P.O.V.

I kissed my boyfriend’s brother! And let him into my bed! I get a text on my phone after I come out and find Cato isn’t there.

From: Clove

Hey girl! Wanna go to da beach? xo C

I text a reply back immediately.

To: Clove

Sure! B there in 10! xo K

I change into a fiery red and orange bikini and pull on a forest green sundress over the top. I slip on green sandals and red sunglasses and grab my beach bag, already packed, and head out the door. I walk over to Johanna’s house two blocks over because they had a sleepover last night but I was with Cato. Ugh! Why can’t I get him out of my head!

I open the door to Johanna’s flat and see the guys and girls in the lounge room, all dressed and ready to go.

“Let’s go!” I yell and we pile into the cars. I go in the Glimmer’s car with the girls and the boys go in Cato’s car.

We arrive at the beach about 20 minutes later and I run out like a little kid. I dump all my stuff, strip off my dress and turn around to my friends.

“Coming? Your such slow pokes!” I yell.

“We’re coming, we’re coming.” Cato says. He drops his stuff then throws me over his shoulder and starts towards the ocean.

“Cato! Don’t you dare you little-“my screams get cut off by the cold water stinging my body. So he wants to play it that way now does he?

I dive deeper and swim around him. He searches frantically for me. I pounce on his back.

“Boo.” I whisper in his ear.

“Katniss!” he spins around and I see he has been crying.

~FLASHBACK~

“KATNISS!” he screams.

“BOO!” I shout and jump on his back.

It takes him by surprise and he stumbles a few steps then whips around to face me. His cheeks are blotchy and his eyes red. He’s been crying.

“Oh, Cato. I’m so sorry. I didn’t know you react that way.” I pull him in for a hug.

“Don’t do that ever, ever again. Okay Katniss? If you died, I don’t know what I would do. I love you.”

“I love you too. Come on babe, let’s go sit down for a bit.”

For the rest of the day, we just sit, eat, talk and swim. We finally decide to go back to the house after the sunset and Annie literally has to pull Finn out of his “home” as he calls it.

~END OF FLASHBACK~

“Cato…” I whisper.

“Yeah Katniss?” he stares down at me.

“I remember.”

“What do you remember?”

“Everything.”

And I lean up on my tiptoes in the surf and press my lips to his soft, salty ones.

I remember.