CHAPTER 25

Katniss’ P.O.V. 

 -two years later-

“MADGE!” I scream to get my best friend’s attention. She turns around, blonde hair whipping around, and runs to me to hug me.

“KAT!” she squeals when she reaches me and we squeeze each other.

“KAT! MADGE!” Delly yells and joins out hug. Delly’s blonde hair gets in my mouth but I don’t mind, she’s my other best friend.

We release each other and walk around the mall. Since I ran away, I’ve changed. I know have chestnut brown hair that’s been dip dyed lilac and I wear shorter and more revealing clothes. Today, for example, I am wearing a pleated plaid hot pink skirt that goes just a little below my bum and a tight sleeveless light pink blouse that shows my belly button with hot pink 3 inch ankle boots.

Boys pass us and whistle or wink at me. I wink back at them and walk away, laughing at how easy it is.

“Okay, so, for summer break, I was thinking we could take a little vacation. To District Twelve!” Delly squeals and jumps up and down with Madge. Oh no. No, they can’t know. No one will know my past. So I put on a smile and join in on their excitement.

“We leave tomorrow!” Delly reveals and I stop for a second before I snap out of it. I’ve changed; they won’t know it is me.

Tomorrow I will face my friends I left behind, my family I abandoned and the boyfriend I ran from.

-tomorrow-

I pack my things in the same red suitcases I used when I ran away.

“Kat! Come on! We are going to be late for the plane!”

“I’m coming!” I drag my cases down the stairs of the house I share with Madge and Delly and place them in the boot of the cab.

I’ve worn something they would never see me in. I have dark washed jean booty short, a red crop top and red flat ankle boots. My hair is down and I have smokey eye shadow on with bright red lip stick.

“Let’s go!” Madge says and we drive away to the train stop.

We get on the train. It will only take 3 hours to get to District Twelve.

-three hours later-

Dell, Madge and I step off the train and head to the hotel across the road.

Everything’s the same as I remember. The same people, the same houses, the same roads.

We get our room key and dump our bags in the room.

“How about we go to the beach?” Delly suggests and I agree. I slip on a purple bikini that matches the ends of my hair. It shows off my curves. I grab a towel and pull on a short deep purple sundress. I slid into my purple flip flops and follow my friends down the stairs and out to the beach.

There are other people at the beach but it isn’t packed. A group of teenagers, boys and girls, are playing a game of football in the sand.

I drop my stuff under a palm tree, slid off my outer clothing and shoes and head down to the group of friends.

“Hey, mind if I play?” bad move. These teenagers are Clove, Johanna, Annie, Glimmer, Finnick, Marvel, Peeta, Gale and Cato.

“Sure. I’m Annie and this is Clove, Johanna, Glimmer, Marvel, Finnick, Gale, Peeta and Cato.” Annie says.

“Hi guys, I’m Kat” Clove extends her hand but I just pull her into a hug. I’ve missed her so much. A tear slips down my cheek. “Sorry, I’m a hugger.”

I hug Glimmer, Johanna, Annie, Gale, Peeta, Marvel, and Finn but stay away from Cato. I’m not that brave!

Delly and Madge come and play as well. We finish the game soon after and just talk. I tell them that we are here on vacation from District Thirteen and they tell me the relationships. Annie and Finnick, Gale and Clove, Glimmer and Marvel and, surprisingly, Peeta and Johanna. I tell them Madge is dating a guy called Rye and Delly is dating a guy named Thom. Cato and I are the only single people.

I can’t’ take it anymore, I have to tell Clove. She looks sad and depressed though she tries to hide it.

“Clove, can I take to you in private for a moment?”

“Uh, sure.”

We walk to a tree a couple of metres away.

“So how’s Prim?”

“How do you know Prim?”

“I see Gale hasn’t broken your heart yet.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“And that Jo and Peeta took my advice.”

“Wait. Katniss?” she starts to cry and I nod. Her arms wrap around my neck and she cries into my shoulder.

“I’m sorry I left you cuz. I was scared, scared of Cato. I love you.”

“I understand and I love you, too.” She pulls away and wipes her tears. “Are you going to tell the others?”

“I want to wait. See if they will guess.” She smirks at me. “Can we go see Prim and mum?” she nods.

We walk back and everyone packs up. It’s probably about 5pm.

“Hey, do want to hang out tomorrow? I hear there’s this awesome music concert just outside of town.” Peeta asks.

“Yeah, I love singing and music.” I answer.

“Really?” Peeta asks. “Can you demonstrate?”

“Easy come, easy go

That's just how you live, oh

Take, take, take it all

But you never give

Should've known you was trouble

From the first kiss

Had your eyes wide open

Why were they open?

Gave you all I had

And you tossed it in the trash

You tossed it in the trash, you did

To give me all your love is all I ever asked

'Cause what you don't understand is...

I'd catch a grenade for you

Throw my hand on a blade for you

I'd jump in front of a train for you

You know I'd do anything for you

Oh, I would go through all this pain

Take a bullet straight through my brain

Yes, I would die for you, baby

But you won't do the same.” I finish singing and everyone claps but Peeta looks suspicious. He pulls me away from the group.

“Kat, is your full name Katniss?” he looks deep into my eyes with his stunning blue ones.

“No.” he looks so disappointed. “My full name is Katniss Rose Everdeen.” He looks up at me and hugs me, tight.

“I’ve missed you so much Katniss. So, so much.”

“I missed you too but can you not tell the others? Clove knows but I want the others to guess without help. I’ll give them hints though.” He nods and we walk back.

“Come on, Kat. You can come and meet my cousin and aunt. Their names are Prim and Lisa.” Clove says.

I finally get to see Prim and mum. How will they take it?