CHAPTER 18

I have been swinging my legs off the edge the edge of this bed for about an hour now with my friends looking at me like I should be in a mental hospital. Do I have cubes on my hands?! No? Then stop looking at me! I scream in my head.

“Hey guys? Can one of you bring me my phone?” Clove nods and brings me my phone.

I search the contacts until I find Gloss’ number and call him.

“Hello?” Man I love his voice.

“Hey sexy.” I giggle.

“Katniss?” he asks.

“Yes! Who else would it be? I am your girlfriend after all.”

“What? But I thought you broke up with me?”

“Why would I do that? You’re super-hot and kind and a really good kisser. Can you come pick me up?”

“Sure, where are you?”

“I’m at the hospital and all my friends are staring at me like I’m crazy. It’s starting to get weird. Please come quick, I can’t wait to kiss you.”

“I can’t wait to kiss you either. I’ll be there soon.”

“Okay, love you.”

“Love you too.”

I hang up and see everyone has their jaw dropped.

“Shut your mouths, you might catch horses.” I snap then giggle. What a funny expression.

Gloss turns up 7 minutes later and I run up to him and hug him, even though I am in one of those paper hospital robes.

“I missed you baby.” I say and press my lips to his. It’s strange, I don’t feel the sparks I used to. It’s probably just because I am ‘mentally disoriented’.

“I missed you too. You know, you broke my heart when you left me. Never do that again.”

“Never.” I say and kiss him again. I imagine the sparks but it still doesn’t feel right. What is wrong with me?

“Come on, let’s get you home.” Gale says from behind me. I nod and grab Gloss’ hand.

I change into faded blue skinny jeans and an off-the-shoulder grey top that says ‘you can’t handle me’. Someone, as in Clove, forgot my shoes so I just clamber onto my boyfriend’s back and he gallops through the hallways. They sign me out and Gloss drives me home. He pulls up out the front of my house.

“Do you want to come in?”

“Sure” he agrees.

I take him upstairs to my room and drag him into the bed with me.

“Will you stay with me?” I ask nervously.

“Always, my love.” He answers and I fall into a dreamless sleep. But it doesn’t feel right.