Chapter Fifty Seven

A picture I took in London a few years ago

A picture I took in London a few years ago. I love how it turned out with the Gherkin in the background and the water dancing in front of it. Have any of you been London? What do you think?

Also, I am happy to say that I won second place in the Diamond awards Fantasy! I am so happy!!!! Thank you @the_diamonad_awards for letting me compete and thank you @winterandroses (who I have dedicated this chapter to) for tagging me in it in the first place. I wish you the best of luck in your category! :D It would be great if you could check out her work too! Anyway, on with this weeks update. Hopefully, it will be better than last weeks...

I am floating. My body is numb to the world around me but not to the pain. There is only darkness. I can't move but I can feel the burning across my body. I am trapped. For how long I don't know. Maybe I've been floating for hours, maybe days, maybe years. Breath in. Breath out. Breath in. Breath out. Pain, numbness. Nothing and agony at the same time. That is what surrounds me.

Then light. My ears ring as my vision is blurred. Bubbles surround me and my lungs feel thick from the water inside them. The bubbles are from me screaming I think. But still, I can't hear anything but this rining. Hands appear around me, pulling me from the water. I am weak in their arms as they drag me across the stone. Still, my vision is blurred and the only sound I can hear is ringing. It hurts though, everything hurts. I twist over and feel as thick liquid forces its way out of my mouth and nose. Even with blurred vision, I can see that it is blood. What is happening to me? What is going on and where am I? Those questions are unanswered as darkness consumes me again.

I wake to an odd feeling in the pit of my stomach. My body curls and I twist to the side, ignoring the pain as more thick blood forces its way out of me. When I am done, I lay back down slowly. I am in a bed now, looking up at the walls and ceiling of the academy's medical wards. A face appears above me. It is the High Queen. She is speaking, but I can't really understand. My eyes are heavy and my body so weak. I struggle to keep my eyes open. Toryn appears above me, his face dark and angry. He speaks too but I don't understand. The two of them start to blur and then I am in darkness again.

I wake up multiple times to throw up blood. Thick and disgusting. It takes a while before I am able to see clearly or hear. But eventually, I can, though it isn't much progress. I can barely move from my bed. Not because of the pain, but because I am not strong enough.

"What's happened to me?" I ask and even I can hear how weak my voice is. It is Toryn who answered.

"You were poisoned," he says. I can feel his hand in mine as he sits beside me. He's been here every time I've woken to puke. "Black Root," he says. I close my eyes, taking a deep breath as I remember the pain of that night.

"You've been in the pool healing for over a week," he tells me. A week. How did it feel so fast and slow at the same time? The High Queen appears.