Chapter Twenty-One

This is another picture taken by my mum, it was taken in Llanberis in Wales

This is another picture taken by my mum, it was taken in Llanberis in Wales. Like the photo in the previous chapter, this has nothing to do with the places described in this chapter but the ruins fit in with the chapter.

I lie in bed, in the darkness. The memory swirls in my mind, the screams echoing in my head. The four of us decided to stay in the same room tonight. After emerging from the violent memory, we just wanted to stick by each other's side. After we awoke, we wondered around the ruined corridors silently and even went to our old rooms. It was hard, seeing our childhood so broken and damaged. With so much blood, fear and loss. I can't sleep. When I close my eyes I just see my friends getting killed. I stand up. My siblings snore softly next to me. It had taken a while for them to get to sleep but now they rest. I smile at them and look out of the window. The moon shines in the night sky, bright and shining.

"Are you okay?" my brother moans. I spin around to look at him and smile softly.

"I'm fine, but I need to run and release some energy," I tell him. He nods in understanding as I grab some clothes to change into. He turns as I change into black training trousers and a long sleeved top. I do not want to run in the beautiful white lace night dress.

"Don't be too long and take your weapons with you," he says as he stands and walks over to me. I chuckle.

"Yes dad," I joke, pulling on the weapon straps and attaching my weapons to my body. The two long slim swords, the two daggers and the spear which it's in the narrow cylinder. We had made sure to bring them with us, just in case.

"Isla, I'm being serious," he says. I sigh.

"I won't be too long, go back to sleep. I'll be back before you know it," I smile at him. He sighs and nods his head.

"Please, just be careful." he looks concerned and I frown. After remembering being so vulnerable and the horrors of our past, I can understand why my brother is much more nervous.

"I'll be fine," I say. He nods his head as grab a long black cloak and leave the room. Silently I walk through the corridors which are silent. I don't want to wake anyone up. If Princess Kayleigh or Lady Indira see me, they might send me back to my room. Same with Aspen. When I get to the balcony, I look out over the city. It looks beautiful under the bright white light of the moon. I look behind me, making sure that no one else is there. Though I can already tell that no one is nearby who is awake. I can hear soft breaths from those sleeping and slow rhythmic heartbeats.

I leap over the balcony edge. I love the feeling of falling, how the wind whips my hair around me I feel like I weigh nothing. It is the closest I get to flying myself without shifting. Too soon the ground reaches me and I land softly on my feet. Straight away I take off running. It doesn't take long for me to be out of the city and into the mountains. I am very fast, moving at a blur almost. It feels good to run like this again. It is something I haven't done since the forest before we came to Shadow. I run around the lakes and climb up the huge rock faces with ease and I enjoy the feeling of freedom it brings me. I come to a stop however when I realise that I stand on the mountain summit opposite the ruined palace that was my home. Somehow, I had ended up here again. I step toward the edge of the mountain I am standing on, a large vertical rocky wall is beyond it, falling all the way to the ground. Without taking my eyes of the ruins, I sit down with my feet hanging over the edge and sigh. The moon is bright enough for me to see it pretty well. Part of me doesn't want to see it, to be reminded of it. The other part of me wants to look upon the place I grew up in.