Chapter Fifty One

Spain Again! I wish I could go back :( It was such a crazy, epic week!

We don't rush back to the academy. Our horses walk or sometimes trot as we look admire all the beautiful scenery on the road from the City of Catheline back to Shadow's Capitol where the Academy is. We have soldiers escorting us too, so it isn't just myself, my siblings and Darcy. Darcy who is in her usual annoyed mood. It is quiet as we walk through the thick woodland. Well, we are quiet. The birds still sing and the forest animals can be heard though. It is beautiful.

"I'm just going a bit further into the woods, I won't go far away. I'll call if I need anything," I tell my siblings.

"Okay," Tanya says. I urge River into a gallop as I rush off the road and into the thick forest. It rushes past me and the wind smacks my face as River runs. I laugh and pat my beautiful black horse. River is too happy to stretch and run in the wilderness that is the forest. Like I promised, I don't go very far and I carry on in the same direction that they are going in. I come to a stop when I see a little waterfall. Clear water falls between the trees and into a beautiful little pool. It isn't high, though still higher than me when I am sitting on River. It is very pretty, I admire as I watch the stream trickle away from the pool.

"What are you doing so far away from your guards?" he asks. I don't scream in fright this time. In some sense, I knew he was here. I look behind me and smile softly as I see him jumping down from a tree in front of me. 

"How do you sneak around these lands, undetected, watching?" I ask him. It is odd, seeing him with no mask. Watching amusement spread over his face.

"Why are you so stupid?" he asks. "Coming out here on your own, knowing that I am here. Not telling anyone about me being here. For all you know, I could be planning another attack, killing your people. Yet still, you keep my presence here a secret."

"Perhaps, though we both know that though my siblings are out of sight, they'll know if I am in danger and will be here in seconds. You may be a skilled warrior, but you can't win against the four of us. Plus our guards."

"No, I wouldn't," he admits.

"As for planning an attack, I don't think you would be. Your king has you on queen killing duties. Plus, you wouldn't do anything to risk your mission. Another attack would draw attention to NightShade warriors still being here and may lead to you and your capture. You wouldn't risk it and there is no point to it." His only reaction is a narrowing of his eyes.

"So, why all this following and stalking? How are you everywhere I go?" I ask. He steps closer and River snorts wearily, moving slightly backwards.

"Like you already said, I am on queen killing duties." That should make me nervous, but it doesn't. Instead, I smile and sigh softly.

"A lot has changed," I look at him. "Since you first found me on the island. I have changed, you have changed. Why are we talking? Why haven't either one of us killed each other yet?" I frown. He stays silent.